Tubes 101

I'm very new to tubes. Is there a sonic signature to different tubes? For instance, do Kt-88's have more highs and bass? Do 6550's have better midrange?

It seems like KT-88's, 6550's, EL-34's are the most common, or at least those are the ones that I keep seeing pop up.

I can use KT-88, 6550, KT-90, EL-34, 6L6GC, 7581A, KT66...

In terms of sound, I want it all, and why save $100-$200 on tubes when I'm already this deep in the rabbit hole?

To further complicate things, which brands are better? I'm thinking a matched quad set of Cyro'ed Gold Lion Kt-88's might look pretty sitting in my PrimaLuna Prologue 5....
128x128b_limo

Showing 4 responses by b_limo

Beautiful! Thank you everyone! Please keep the info coming. I think it will be helpful to many others, now, and in the future.

Thank you XTI, that was very helpful, you too Mapman, thank you!
I have been switching between some svetlanna 6550's and electro harmonix el88's. I prefer the el88's bass and highs. The svetlanna 6550's can make some vocals sound really nice, and possibly image better, but they make some rock music sound awful.

My input tubes are a mix of g.e. and others with no names... I have the regular input tubes that came with the prima luna but prefer these others.

I'm thinking that some bugle boy input tubes with some golden lion kt88's might be good...

Ultimately, I'd like extension at both ends; sparkling highs, tight bass and good imaging are probably my priorities.
Thank you! I will research them today, as I am snowed in and listening to some music.

Any oppinions on input tubes?

Btw, I'm still absolutely loving this switch. It has resparked my interest in audio equipment, but more importantly, my interest in music. The combination of this amp and my current speakers that use seas excel drivers has been enlightening. What a revelation when the music starts to make more sense because of the nuances, timing and dynamic swings that are present now.
I bought my prima luna used. It came with svetlanna 6550's, Electroharmonix KT-88's (my preference), stock prima luna input tubes, and a different set of input tubes (one pair says "usa" the other pair says "ge".

I figure if Electroharmonix KT-88's get slightly poor reviews, that it might be good to swap them out for something else...

I do agree though that itsbest to listen to new piece of equipment to become familiar with its sonic signature before you start tweaking things, so you can tell the difference and whether its an improvement or not.

I live in Colorado. It's been snowing here like crazy, and a bmw m3 on coilovers with michelin pilot super sports isn't exactly a snow mobile, lol.