Tube Preamp with Solid State Amp?

Greetings!

I’ve seen some folks using Tube Preamps with Solid State Am ps. I’m thinking of doing that with my system as part of an incremental change. I currently have a Parasound P5 preamp with a Parasound A21 driving Klipsch Cornwall 4’s. Will a decent / good Tube Preamp really make a difference in my sound? I enjoy what I have now but really want to experience Tubes in my system. Thanks!
128x128bigjohn9095
I know this is an old-ish thread, but I wanted to add my $.02. As someone who listens to vinyl 99+% of the time, a tube pre with a SS amp is wonderful. You can do this on a small (audiophile) budget as well if you are willing and able to modify your equipment. I highly recommend a modded Jolida JD9. I have the original, which I modded myself by replacing the op amps, caps, and tubes (Gold Lion), and adding damping material throughout. If you can find one used, this can all be done for less than $600 and will easily compete with preamps $2K+. I run this through a stock Yamaha A-S500 amp (very modestly priced), and my sound never fails to blow people away. I agree with some other commenters here, that this combination gives you the best of both worlds. Though I haven’t had the pleasure of hearing super high end (expensive) setups, this combo blows away any all-tube or all-SS setup I’ve ever heard. Of course, ymmv. Cheers.
Full disclosure - I do have a lot more cash invested in my speakers and deck...
I have the LTA microzotl preamp, with recent modifications by LTA, feeding into a Sanders magtech powering Martin Logan Montis loudspeakers.  A match made in heaven!
In my system, until  last year,  I had the Spectral Dmc 30 SL pre-amp with Spectral Dma 360 s2 monoblocks power amplifiers with Mit Matrix HD 38 signal cable and  Mit Oracle Matrix HD 90 power cables  (the rest of the system includes CD Player Spectral Sdr 4000 Pro,  turntable Linn Lp12 Klimax   and JM Lab Utopia speaker (first edition)  . I then tried the Audio Research Ref. 3 preamp and immediately sold the Spectral preamp. The Audio Research Ref. 3 preamp with Spectral power amplifiers is immensely better.
I had a P5, it was a lot better than their P3, but...
anyway, the lines between tube and SS kit has long been blurred
I replaced my P5 with an Audio Alchemy DDP-1 and later added their PS5 outboard power supply, which is a HUGE improvement

I've been using a tube preamp with solid state amps for quite a while now.  My system is a mix of hi fi and pro sound gear.  I modified a peavey project one stack.  I replaced the tweeter driver with a selenium compression horn driver and Celestion drivers for the mid horn cabinet and Focal polyglass drivers in the horn loaded bass cabinets.  I got rid of the crossovers and switched to a dbx driverack pa+ electronic crossover.  The speakers are now tri amped with yamaha digital p7000s amps.   The tube preamp is a dared class a sl2000a model with Brimar rectifier and various 12at7 tubes.   I primarily use an Amazon fire TV cube coupled with a  hdmi audio extractor.   This way I can ship the hdmi video signal to a DVDO hd50 pro scaler and then to the projector.   I use a transparent audio power cord on the tube preamp as well as all the yamaha power amps.   I'm running balanced interconnects to the crossover and amps.  I had to make my own converted balanced cables from the rca outputs on the preamp.   From there I had to figure out the gain structure of the system in setting up the crossover.   I'm also running a pair of tc sounds 15 inch subs in stereo configuration.  I'm using an audio control phase coupled activator as the crossover for those.  All the speaker wire is analysis plus.  I'm leaving out more Information but I've probably bored you guys already.