Tube preamp for SS amp

6922, 6H30 or 6SN7 decisions decisions. What sounds good to me might not sound so good to somebody else....I get it, but is there a tube preamp/solid state amp that is not a good match sonically (running a pass labs x250.5 and bryston 4bsst2). I can drive 2hrs and audition some ACR equipment however that's it. Everything else would be purchased out of state and most places will have to special order something else in (ie modwright ls100, cj ET3SE, audible illusions...) and will only take the equipment back for store credit.
chad2635

Showing 6 responses by chad2635

Thanks for all the feedback. Based on all the research I've done I'm leaning towards 6SN7 or the 6922. I have had my eye on the cj et3se however I'm not sold on the volume control that it uses (push button/remote) and I'm not sure the entry level classic 2se (both use a single 6922) is enough of a preamp (ie performance not features). Herron audio has a 6922 based pre that I may investigate. There is a used VTSP-1a/166 here on audiogon and a NOS VTSP-2.
Lloydelee21, I am very curious to see how the et3se would sound with my pass labs...in fact I have read in other forums that it is a good match, however I just don't think I'd like the push button volume control. Yeah there is a remote but same thing there. My experience (not with the cj gear) is that push buttons wear out. I'd rather turn a dial then push, push, push... a button. On the flip side it must work and be reliable because everything from the et3 on up has this type of volume control.
You're probably right. It's tough being an audio enthusiast and reading about new makes and models with everybody trying to outdo everybody else but in reality who actually has access to audition even a fraction of what's out there. Even the hifi shops can't afford to stock all models....I know because I've called and more times than not if they don't have what you want they make you special order it and will only exchange it. I guess what I need to do is pick a shop that carries at least 2 brands I'm interested in to better my chances of finding a match.
I totally agree....what looks good on paper might on the other hand be the worst combination that could be put together (sonically)...at least for a given system. I spend countless hours reading and researching (I enjoy this by the way) but in the end it's all guess work. I think my overall problem is that I don't know what I'm after in sound quality. Yeah it needs to sound good but what does that really mean. I could have a half a dozen preamps both SS and tube with each one having their own characteristics that rise above the others. Maybe that's why we audiophiles tend to keep searching for more...do we ever achieve "the one preamp" or is it just perception based on what we make ourselves believe is the one.