Tube preamp and McCormack DNA-500

Looking for a tube preamp to match and perform well w/ a McCormack DNA-500. Want to spend 1700, preferably less. Speakers: Ohm Walsh 5000 (4 ohm 82-87 db efficient). Listen primarily to classic jazz (hard bop). Emailed Steve McCormack about using a tube preamp with the DNA 500. He responded:
Most tube preamps will do a fine job with the DNA-500 - you just have to watch out for the few that won't. Check the output impedance spec of any preamp you are considering - lower is better, at least in this regard. As long as your preamp has an output impedance spec of 800 Ohms or less, you should be fine.

Looking for a tube preamp that does not roll off the highs, full sounding (not thin) in the mids; detailed presentaion is good, not rolled off in the low end; in other words I like low end extension and weight; Not looking for leanness or soft bass. I like transparency; complete and utter neutrality is not my priority as some gear seems to lean towards. Some tube sound is preferable but without a veil. Suggetions please? Thanks
foster_9

Showing 7 responses by foster_9

"First what have you been using before?"

Haven't been using any preamp before; just got the 500.
Tvad, thanks for the detailed posts and good looking out. The Lamm LL2 was off my list already because of results I saw posted by another DNA-500 user. As Steve said about preamp output impedance specs, "lower is better, at least in this regard."
Bnrlaw and Tvad, I'll consider your suggestion. I like that cherry cabinet on the Peach II on sale now, wish it was an original Peach.
Thanks again for all the recommendations. Which of the above preamps leans more in the direction of a smooth tube sound as opposed to leaning more to a smooth solid state sound?

Example: I've read that the Modwright Swl 9.0 sounds very good with the DNA-50. But, I've also read that if you're looking for any tube presence with the Modwright look elsewhere, but if you're looking for neutrality the Modwright delivers.