Tube Basics 101: What is a rectifier tube for?

In laymans terms please:

What is the function of a Rectifier tube (such as the 5AR4/GZ34 found in my tube preamp)?

Why/How would the Rectifier tube affect the sound created?

How would this differ from the function of a typtical Driver tube (such as a 6SN7, 12AX7, 12AU7)? Also, would a driver tube typically have more affect on the overall sound (i.e. Which tubes would you roll out first if you wanted to change the sound of your preamp?)

Also, what is a "Getter" tube?
nnck

Showing 2 responses by 1graber2

All great info,
I personally like tube rectification over SS. I can agree with the idea that there are quick diminishing returns on the "quality" of the rectifier tube, but not in the reliability or longevity of the tube. Yes, there is hype on tubes, but I always opt for the military or industrial "JAN" tubes, eg. = "joint army-navy" built during the Cold War. These are the tubes you can "set and forget" for 10 years of good life.

Why? they are the classic NOS tubes that were made with high quality. Because, if the US or Russia were under nuclear attack, do you think they would depend on unreliable tubes? Shit, the Russians even used them in their fighter jets, b/c they perform better than SS under while flying in the air during a nuclear attack.
i would also recommend at least calling Upscale Audio and talking to Jarrod (the tube guy) or the owner Kevin. I've bought from them for years and they are reliable, but live for this type of stuff. Kevin is a tube hound, tube freak.

Although he can be a bit prickly, that is only b/c Kevin is OCD about tubes and gets excited like a little kid about them. the Upscale website also has videos that talk about tubes, tube gear, how they work, etc -- right up your alley. 

In fact, Upscale makes the buyer report the equipment that the tubes will be used in, before they will even sell them to you, to make sure the tubes and equipment are proper electrical matches. I'm sure he is familiar with the Modwright 100.

As previously stated, get the LOWEST MICROPHONY tubes possible. and MATCHED PAIRS OF TUBES.