Tube amp to drive MBL 101's

I am looking for some tube amp suggestions to drive the 83db MBL 101's.
husk01

Showing 1 response by 90493m

I own a pair of 101E's and use the CAT JL-3s with them. The combination is very good and the JL-3's drive the speaker to reasonable volume in my 14x20 room with authority and finesse. The 101's still have some discontinuity between the MR and lower drivers however.
Its important to understand that I listen at average volume levels of about 85-90 db with peaks in the upper 90's. That is all my room can handle before the room itself becomes a major factor(yes I have treated the room acoustically, but remember the sepaker radiates 360 degrees).
the sound of the CAT amps is not typically tube; it has the subtle finess of SET's but is clear and fast with a very good low end (better than most solid states in having both bass defintion and nuance)It is an amp that blends the best attributes of both tube anbd solid state with out the drawbacks. Having had a pair of Wavac 833 monos as well as Atmas-phere mA-2's i can say that the JL-3's betters both of those amps by significant margins
If you are not trying to go over 95 db average SPL I can whole heartedly recommend the JL-3's (they may play louder but i can't vouch for their efficacy)on the 101 e's