Transparent Audio is anything but Transparent

I bought a new tube amp. With its placement the right channels speaker cable is too short.  Out of impatience to reach the tube amp I bought a single 15 foot super old Music Wave Ultra MM at a reasonable price. It’s 25 years old and sounds great, so I decided to look for a newer 10/12 foot pair, and move that single to the center speaker.

I went to Transprent Audio’s website and it became apparent that I can’t afford new. I started a search for used. This is where the frustration with Transparent Audio began.

My mindset or expectations from Transparent stem from a 2022 letter that Transparent Audios’ president and CEO, Karen Sumner wrote on the “What’s Best Forum” titled “Preowned Transparent Opportunities.

The article opens with Karen writing, “With the introduction of Transparent Generation 6, there are a few more than usual Gen 5, MM2, and older Transparent Cables available through the pre-owned market that offer a lot of performance and value. I hope many of you will want to take advantage of this opportunity.

She makes it clear that with third party sales, “the warranty is not transferable. There will be a fee for recalibration and for any repairs or termination changes that might be necessary. Call 207-284-1100 or write to [email protected] for recalibration help and service. She never discourages third party sales. Quite the opposite. Karen closes the article with, quote, “Please feel free to ask me questions if you are considering purchasing some preowned Transparent.

So, in a nutshell she writes, “I hope many of you will want to take advantage of this opportunity, and “Please feel free to ask me questions if you are considering purchasing some preowned Transparent.”

But it’s all a lie. They don’t answer any questions, and they screw over Audiogon sales by steering you away from third party sales, and pushing you to their dealers.

I called and asked “how do MM2 Ultras stack up against the G5 Supers. I was literally told that they don’t give out that information. It’s for us to know and for you to find out. While searching I stumbled upon the Aliexpress counterfeits.  They are shipped in a poly bag. Then you go to eBay and buy the box for $50.00 a pop. Transparent Audio Reference PowerLink Factory Cartons eBay item number:224172498955.

I found a pair of G5’s that would work, but being worried about counterfeits, I emailed Transparent customer service with three photos for only for their opinion. Like I said, they don't answer question, and steer you to their dealers, scewing over the Audiogon sellers.

Their reply was “We can never guarantee the authenticity or functionality of products being sold by anyone other than our authorized dealers. If you choose to purchase from third parties, those purchases are made caveat emptor. If you’d like to be absolutely certain you are purchasing authentic Transparent products, I recommend you shop our network of authorized dealers.

So it’s clear to me, that this article wanting you to take advantage of buying used and answering your concerns was just a bunch of propaganda. Thanks for nothing.

marshinski15

I do not use their products, however they have been in business for over 40 years, have a very loyal following and in this modern business climate, that is quite an accomplishment.

Transparent is one of the companies that created a unique situation. The cables have to be setup for a specific component. If you did not buy it new they can charge a lot to setup a used cable. If you are the certified owner they will do that for free or a small fee. This prevents counterfeit cables and sales of cables on the used market. I would ask the seller on eBay if he can arrange for your cables to set them up. 
I was having a watch serviced at a jewelry store. I over heard the salesman that the Rolex she just bought a few days ago would have to be sent back to Rolex to be certified again at her expense. The only part I would not agree with is did the store tell her that at the time of purchase. I feel some retail stores are messing around with information to lock in a sale. Trust everyone, but verify. 
this company also did this to me by trying not to give me all the links to the new factory watch bracelet I bought. In the end I had it in writing. 
There are so many fakes coming out of other countries that some say they are exact copies. Apparently we can’t do anything about it. 

One reason I purchase from well known brands is because I plan to resell it someday. Who would buy a Mercedes if you knew you couldn't resell because the manufacturer won't sell you parts or a dealer won't repair it because you didn't purchase the car from them? I recently purchased a set of 8 speaker isolators from ebay. The manufacturer doesn't include the bolts that are needed for KEF speaker stands.  The needed bolts can be ordered for free from a dealer. No dealer would order the bolts for me because I didn't buy from them, even if I agreed to buy the bolts. I was able to find a company in England that would sell me the bolts and I was happy to pay for them. 

@classicrockfan Yes indeed. In my world there is no need for solving second order differential equations. In my world I pay people do those menial tasks using a program called Python. As I am a Metallurgist / Tribologist with a MSME not  a Biologist or Economist (thinking your are the latter as from your other posts, deductive reasoning) I have no need for that skill. I also have much better writing skills that helps me to communicate my point to my direct reports and customers. Really it boils down to one thing in my current station in life "Everything I need to know in life I learned in kindergarten.

Enjoy your Sunday, maybe take an online writing class. 

No way to find out who makes more money who has better amps/speakers... but one thing i know for sure is that i know how to solve second order differential equations... you don't.

I have a 12 foot pair of ultras if you are interested. Had them for years and they are the real deal. Message  me if u are interested.