Transition Audio Design modded Altec 1570B

Tom Tutay took the case, iron, and output tubes and created a really georgeous amp. One iteration of the original was used to drive a garbage can sized servo motor--so it can drive your loudspeakers! Two 811 transmitter tubes in PP configuration putting out 170watts. Plates are powered by two EL 34s. In front of that, you will find a 6SN7, and then a 12AT7. Plenty of gain in this amp. I decided to use speakers with about 88db/watt efficiency--could never get horns to image well--and I don't have the space to put them. These amps give me the dynamics that horns/SET amps deliver, but with pinpoint imaging. Tom has made an old icon into a modern marvel
128x128jmwaite

I also have a pair of Tom's 1570B mods plus one of his subwoofer buffers.

My friends leave my house with jaws agape after listening parties..

Cheers, Chris in Tucson

7/16/1923. I’m very sad to report that Tom Tutay has died. Suffering from Parkinson’s, I believe Tom was a victim of Florida’s current heat wave. A sad way for a great man to die. We shall miss him greatly.

I just got Toms Personal pair of 1570B amps, They are slightly different in that they do not use the 12ax7 instead they use the 6sl7.............They are amazing amplifiers for sure........................RIP Tom