Transition Audio Design modded Altec 1570B

Tom Tutay took the case, iron, and output tubes and created a really georgeous amp. One iteration of the original was used to drive a garbage can sized servo motor--so it can drive your loudspeakers! Two 811 transmitter tubes in PP configuration putting out 170watts. Plates are powered by two EL 34s. In front of that, you will find a 6SN7, and then a 12AT7. Plenty of gain in this amp. I decided to use speakers with about 88db/watt efficiency--could never get horns to image well--and I don't have the space to put them. These amps give me the dynamics that horns/SET amps deliver, but with pinpoint imaging. Tom has made an old icon into a modern marvel
128x128jmwaite
By far my favorite amps. I would listen to the 1570's Tom built in the mid 90's till 2000 when I moved to Georgia. What a joy. I heard them on my Apogee Centaur (8" woofer) once and I'm hoping to have a pair on my bigger Apogee Centaur Majors one day. They are so liquid and effortless it's remarkable. I hope one day you get to hear Tom's system. So if you're ever in the Ft. Walton Beach or Destin Area ( or Pensacoloa area) go by and listen to Tom's system.
Just want to add my own approbation. If you check my threads, you will see that Tom made a custom impedance buffer device that enabled me to drive a low impedance sub woofer off my ARC Ref 5. He does terrific work. A great resource and a gentleman!
jmwaite,
Do you still have your 1570 amps which Tom rebuilt ?
 I have a pair of his  1570b amps and both a line and phonostage with outboard power supplies and find them to be great sources of musical enjoyment...He also rebuilt a pair of Altec 1568a Amps wired in Triode ( 22 watts) which sound great as well!!!
Had the pleasure of meeting him and Sonny Goldson in Ft. Walton Beach about 15 years ago... Both Great guys !
Sonny is also a great resource for Altec stuff and vintage hifi in general ..

Randall, sorry for the late response!! Yes, I still 

have a pair of Tom’s 1570s. Pains me but I think I want to sell them. I also have an stock 1570b that is functional for replacement iron in case of failure in one of the modded amps. 

Slainte!

Mike

There is another guy that does the mods on these vintage commercial amps. John Tucker of Exemplar Audio is building me a set of Altec 1570B mono blocks and I should have them in about a month.

Lance

I also have a pair of Tom's 1570B mods plus one of his subwoofer buffers.

My friends leave my house with jaws agape after listening parties..

Cheers, Chris in Tucson

7/16/1923. I’m very sad to report that Tom Tutay has died. Suffering from Parkinson’s, I believe Tom was a victim of Florida’s current heat wave. A sad way for a great man to die. We shall miss him greatly.

I just got Toms Personal pair of 1570B amps, They are slightly different in that they do not use the 12ax7 instead they use the 6sl7.............They are amazing amplifiers for sure........................RIP Tom