Tranfiguration Orpheus description

This is the first detailed description I've seen of the new Transfiguration Orpheus:

http://hifi.com.sg/products/cartridge/transfiguration/orpheus.htm

Anyone run across other info?

128x128nsgarch

Showing 2 responses by sirspedy70680f814

Nsgarsh,I luv ya,but don't get too carried away until you actually can play around with "your next cartridge".GUARANTEED!!BTW,the Venustas now sounds great in this set-up.Guess it needed more breakin.
Jtimothya,and Aoliviero....My pal let his "O" play for a full week,on a steady diet of organ discs,in mute.By the time I left it was only fifty hrs,and you could hear that it had some better days ahead,in terms of a more relaxed presentation.Who cared?It was obvious this would be the case,but it was SO good,we where thrilled."Tough to track" orchestral recordings can show up a cartridge/arm's flaws in an instant.The "O" was "killing" us.It was SO good,here!
I am fanatical(actually I was forced almost by gunpoint)about constant adjustment of vta/downforce/2.2 damping fluid,in consonance with eachother.Just to get the right combo usually takes me a long time with my Temper-v,as I believe the "V" has a subtle resonant signature(not that it is not a very good cartridge,but not "great",and NOW I know it)that my Graham 2.2 does not like very much.The "O" is MUCH better with the 2.2!!To me this is a BIG DEAL,but to others it may not be much.Remember this is all ONLY specific to my friend's system,and mine,which is very similar.To all others,the jury is still out,and that's fine by me.I know what it does, on my own stuff,which is what matters to me.You should definitely take my comments with a grain of salt!
To elaborare,a bit,my friend was adamant about my tracking on the high side.He was told by the distributor to track at 2.o gms.The distributor also has the Graham 2.2(our luck,for some tips)and he was clear about this tracking weight.
Personally I didn't care what my pal was told,because I feel/felt that the cartridge in the arm would tell me everything I had to know.I did not want anyone else to tell me where my starting point should be.I need to find out things for myself.A better learning process,I guess.I had all day/night to find out,so I literally(I mean this)had to threaten my friend that if he did not let me find out for myself(by starting at about 1.85 gms and moving up,in 1/100 gm increcments),he could do it himself.My pal has a load of experience,but likes to sit back,snack and watch me sweat,so I got my way.Forget about anything under 1.9 gms(on the 2.2,at least).Here you get the dreaded little "resonant" signature that usually means more damping fluid,or lower vta.We knew we were in the fluid "zone",and vta too,so the tracking HAD to be "the magic" here.It was!BTW,vta is almost horizontal,to lp,but the now vertical frontal portion of the body,is a good aid too.Adjustment by ear,is the only way to go here!
I have NO doubts as to the downforce here!I was quite surprised to find out that the higher downforces of 1.95-2.0 gms where FAR better than anything in the 1.8-ish areas.We wound up at 2.0(he somehow has this fixation on exactly 2.0 gms,which will change with environment,but although it IS fine,when I get an "O",I will try more voicings between 1.95-2.0,in 1/1000's,and don't get too upset,as I won't go too overboard).I did not have to play much(THANK GOD)with the fluid,as the "O" had a lower resonant signature than the "V",and this came through as beautiful timbre,with real roundness and natural warmth.Besides,I have exhausted all fluid voicings with the "V",already,and know it like a book.The "O" simply did not excite the point to point/metal contact of my 2.2's pivot bearing(I assume)!!NO coloration.To me it blends the speed,inner detail and resolution of the "V" with the gorgeous overtones of a really "Elite" Koetsu or Myabi Ivory.I owned Koetsu Black/Onyx/Onyx Sapphire/Urushi,so I feel comfortable stating this.BUT there is NO way the "O" has any thinning character,or CD like coloration.That is simply an "off" set-up,and I suggest more hands on attention,here.Believe me,you will be a "hapy puppy" if you "play around" ALOT!If this business of "silly" long break in is correct(200 hrs?and you have to be kidding me,but fine by me,if true),the owners will be thrilled,as it is fabulous, almost right out of the box.
Obviously I had an easier time,than some,because I had two Tranny's before,and my friend had three,so being that we both have the Graham 2.2,and was aided by the distributor,with his own Graham 2.2( ha,ha Doug -:)),life was made easier.
Yet it still took a full eight hours to get where we felt comfortable it could not be made better,until maybe next month.When we will re-check everything, accounting for more break-in.Yet,we are both SO excited!To us,the "O" vs "V" comparison was more akin to seeing a really good Sony "tube" tv monitor(like an XBR),and then being exposed to the finer contrasts/colors/detail/transparency of an "HDTV",with an LCD screen.More of the "good" stuff.
Truthfully,the better the system,the better this cartridge will tell you just how good it is!That "maybe more than a little better" becomes MUCH better,in the "best" set-ups.I really don't mean to be condescending here.Bc3,and Nsgarsh had it right,weeks ago,and Nsgarsh must have a crystal ball,since he is going on x's and o's only,but he is almost dead on(as usual).Except the "O",at this level, is much better than the "V"(I'm assuming the "W" too,and let's not rationalize that).The better the system,the bigger the gap between "IT" and the "V"!Unless you are a klutz,with set-up,or allow someone else to set you up,who has a monetary agenda.Better off with a good set of friends,or become good yourself,which is easy.Look at guys like Doug Deacon.Seriously!He has really become an "Iron Horse" at mastering the complexity of "things needing attention to detail".Others too!
On Britten's Prince OF The Pagodas there is such an incredible seperation of instrumentation,especially with the woodwinds and flutes,that I could hear the air blowing down the body of each "seperate instrument".I always thought this was "Linear Arm Territory",but it was being done on a unipivot.BTW,Bc3...Right on regarding the piccolos.Finally!Instruments made of wood were SO definiyively WOODY,that I almost cried.I never heard "that" before.Done "that" well!Wood blocks,struck together(in "The Pagodas")sounding like my kids cracking their new "wooden toys" right next to me.No transducer,but eeirily "live".Almost!Overtones you want to bite into.So textured,they were.Don't believe me!!
Also,on Muddy Watters and Junior Wells'--"Drinkin TNT and Smokin Dynamite"(Blind Pig,label)the guitar,and slides where "just SO real"in timbre and texture,and with that metal string "RESONANT SNAP".I know how often this characteristic is stated,but it smoked the Temper-v,here.BTW,in both my own,and my friend's set-up,we have exhausted the potential of the "V",in virtually all parameters.We simply can't get it as good as the "O" was,yesterday,and that was only "one" listening session(not to say we were not happy,before,but not "special",like this).Just a few hours,to get sound this good.Hmm!
Actually,on acoustic material,like this,the ZYX Universe also did the guitar(I used to be a guitar collector,and lousy player)with this kind of tonal dynamic shading,as I remember,but the system sporting the UNIV,at the time,was in metamorphosis,so orchestral music and voice was not as fully fleshed out,as what we had last night.I am sure that previous set-up is MUCH better now!A real contender,for sure!With my friend's set-up though,so many of the little annoying bugs have been removed,that everything stands out,in BOLD relief.He really has a fine rig!And deserves it,as he has spent a ton of money,and gallons of sweat on it!Alot of the sweat,mine.
On Mercury SR 90134(orig pressing)Fiesta in HiFi,with The Eastman Rochester Orch.....This is a SENSATIONAL and entertaining lp.Side one starts out with a "full blast string rush/ambient dynamo"that I have never heard reproduced this well, through the years, on numerous systems.Including mine.The Orpheus is the first cartridge that tames those strings,and they sound dynamic and almost sweet.If not right,you will be running out of the room.Dynamic thrust,on that first movement.Anyone knowing the "Mercury Sound" knows the strings were never as smoothe as the RCA's of that era,but obviously there was more sweetness recorded than was originally thought.Talking "early pressings".Not the re-issues,which are very good,but due to the aging of some master tapes,lose some timbre.With the "O",you get the feeling it all comes down to taming the slight resonant characteristic,that rides along with "Tracking" an LP!This is so easily overlooked,but when it is gone it is also SO obvious.One reason I love Linear Arms!

I know I am getting "long" with my post,but I am really enthused.Sorry!Also,I am basically speaking about equipment I am familiar with.I am not making definitive statements.I have no doubts,there are equal,or beter cartridges on the market.Maybe!Just that I have not heard one,in my own system(no surprises here)or any of my friends' systems that come close to how I hear this Orpheus,in the areas that are important to me.I am a timbre/harmonics/texture nut(definitely a nut,anyway).The Orpheus will allow me to finally get a rounder,richer,more textured balance from my orchestral recordings( pop stuff is far too easy,btw).No colorations,to sweeten things up,either.Just a better tracking/tracing of the grooves,with a lower resonant characteristic(on my arm),which is a real thrill,for long term satisfaction(the solid state "guys" will love this,and it is incredible on mono recordings,which we heard aplenty).This lack of a resonant signature is something I always felt would elude me,unless I got a Linear arm,or an arm that had NO bearing friction,at all(they all,"almost",do).I hear this coming through,in the tracing of a groove(not tracking,but tracing),as a sort of non-linearity/grain(very subtle)which may be my own hang up,and it bothers me.But,now,at least in my mind,with my own equipment,having their own set of deficiencies,I can DEFINITELY correct a MAJOR flaw.To me,a BIG thing.Hooray!

I simply don't believe that this cartridge is anything less than GREAT(where others may be too).Just wait until it gets more exposure,and the jury will give a more universal verdict.Me?I'm just one enthusiastic hobbyist,that knows what my next audio purchase will be.My wife has no clue,yet,and won't be too keen here.But this is audio.My hobby!I'll find a way to sell her,on my need to have it.I HOPE!
Believe me,I was hoping to NOT like this design,much more than my quite new Temper-v!I have only 250 hrs(at most) on my "V",and have just put a few "thou" into some latest "OTHER" updates/mods.My well has pretty much dried up,but somehow I "MUST" have this cartridge.It's just "that good".
You'll hear ALOT more about this one,so why take the word of some internet nerd,like me?

Best!

Nsgarsh,as usual,very thoughtful tips.Thanks!!BTW,by the time I get to my friend,he will have about 50 hrs on the cartridge.I like your recommendation of tracking a bit heavier,to break in suspension.Makes sense.I'll tell him.
I notice that Transfiguration claims only a 30 hr break-in!Based on my own experience,with two Trannies,the fifty hr limit got one really close.Yet,nothing surprises me,in this hobby.
As to load....We have five settings on the front-plate of our Phono/pre....30/47/60/100/600 ohms.My pal,though deeply into the hobby,will not go beyond what's available here.I do admit, he gets really great sound,already,so I'm not going to be able to "sell" him on making any internal changes,for varying impedence matching.Those five selectors will have to do,as far as he is concerned.
I'll do a tune-up,re-install,for him,next Friday.It's funny,as that is the day the electrician is coming over to my place,to replace my circuit breaker box,damaged in my lightning strike.Instead of setting up(after my long lay-off,due to my amp being worked on)my own system,I am SO CURIOUS as to just how good this Orpheus is,that I promised him I'd come to him,right after the electrician is done(early P.M.).
I hope to post a thread,here,next week,reporting the findings,but PLEASE remember it's only opinion of a select few hobbyists.Nothing more!

Thanks for your input,as well as Bc3!

Mark