Top 5 Entry-level audiophile speakers $1500-2000?

Newbie looking to get some decent stereo speakers less than 2k. Prefer recommendations for speakers that are available to audition locally in DC area. Initially would be stereo, w/ upgrade to 5.1 at later date. First priority is music, then movies.

Have in mind: paradigm studio 60, 100, b+w, dynaudio, Dali brands, etc. Prefer something not too harsh on the ears. Need to sound good at low to medium volumes. I have a smallish room and do not tolerate extremely loud playing. Anyone could please shed some light on the best quality speakers in this price range I should look at. I would appreciate it, as I am very confused with the ammount of choice. Would be paring it with SACD player in the future.

Best
Aqua
aquablue2

Showing 2 responses by pubul57

Do you have a preference for stand mounted or floor standing? Is that price for new or used?
Being that you are in the DC area, the Deja Vu recommendation sounds solid given their speaker lineup, don't know where you could audition the Harbeths which are also excellent. The Vandersteen 2Ces are probably the best long-term recommendation for a "full-range" floor stander in that price range (a used pair of Acoustic Zen Adagios would also be on my list at that price range), there is a Vandersteen dealer just north of DC on Conneticutt Ave whose name I can't remember. I agree the Dynaudio needs to be "opened up" to sound their best (there is a dealer in Bethesda). If I was looking for bookshelf speakers all the one's mentioned ProAc, Spendor, AudioNote, Harbeths, are excellent; but I would go with the smaller Merlins. I think you now have a list of excellent speakers to consider - they are all good in their own way and can't go wrong with any of them IMHO.