Threshold S-150 Should I buy??

The owner is bring it over to my place Sat.afternoon to see what it sounds like in my system. Price will be about $300. US. 75 watts per ch. and I am looking to use it as a Midrange amp for Maggies MG III on an active X/O setup which is not ready yet(speaker rebuilt). I will be able to hear it full range on smaller Maggies. I am on a fixed income so my budget is tight and although my setup won't be ready till late fall. It is a good price on an old Amp and I don't want to let it slide. It is good high current and Maggies need current more so than watts, Being used in the midrange it might even work in the Class A mode alot of the time. I know it would be best to do a recap at some time and that would be just a parts cost. I know some will say why even go active, but I am (Marchand XM-44 X/O) and some will say go tubes, not now maybe later. To Buy or not to Buy? You tell me, will it do a good job on the Mids. Thanks for your input.
benie

Showing 2 responses by ar_t

If you are an experimental type...............

Move the power transformer as far away from the circuit boards as possible. (It will move seveal inches.) Yes, you will have to take it apart, drop the front panel, etc.

You'll thank me for it when you listen again.
"Further, I found it to be lacking in bloom and soundstage."

You didn't try moving the transformer, did you?

Nope, thought so.