Thoughts on replacing an ageing pair of B&W N804s

I tried bumping an old question from 2 yrs back but think better to start a new thread.

I've been using the N804 for over 12 years with an Accuphase E-407 integrated amp (Class A/B, 180W/ch @ 8 ohm). I feel its lacks detail, bass and doesn't feel very immersive/involving.

Recently I demo-ed the Franco Serblin Accordo and it's a fantastic (monitor?) speaker but too pricy for my budget & needs a subwoofer to fill in the bass. I also tried the 803D, 804D, SF Cremona-M, & Dali (forgot the model). The rest of them didn't really do much for me.

FInally on a different floor and different setup (and sadly different music track too) I demo-ed the 805Di. Whilst not as good as the Accordo (lacked separation and soundstage by comparison), I felt the 805Di actually performed quite well, more so than its 803D/804D bigger brothers.

So here comes the question. I -think- the 805Di extended deeper and tighter in bass, had more detail, and felt more immersive than my N804. However not being able to compare side-by-side, I don't know if it's setup, or if the 805Di speakers themselves truly big improvement over my ageing N804s.

In Tokyo there's no "1-week" demo concept nor returns. Once you've bought, it's yours and will have to sell at a loss. I do not intend to change my Accuphase E-407 integrated amp.

Is there truly a big improvement between the N804 to 805Di or was it just placebo in my mind?
anakchan

Showing 2 responses by anakchan

Thank you all for your responses. There's a multitude of options but interestingly some of the ones mentioned here are to no avail. Dynaudios, for example were only found at a departmental store in the open which was hard to demo. Meanwhile B&Ws, Focals, Sonus Fabers, Dali's, etc. are easily found.

I just realised that i't silly of me not to consider some Japanese brands since they should be a lot cheaper in comparison to foreign brands (e.g. the Franco Serblin Accordos are 50% more in Japan than they are in NZ - and I'm sure NZ is not the cheapest place either).

That's gonna take quite an effort lugging the Accuphase around :D.

I'm investigating one other option...modifying my N804s to see if I can squeeze in extra life out of it. There's a business in Nagoya (not in Tokyo but at least in the same country) that seems to modify the crossovers. If it "improves it" considerably then I may consider that option.
Thank you for your advice but I think you may overestimate Tokyo! It may be big and also quite controlled on what's brought in. I went through Dynaudio's local Japan page and it's distributors and where to demo in the city only 2 places popped up - one being the departmental store that was easily accessible. I do have the other dedicated audio store websites in my link checking out what products they have new and 2nd hand. Some places do have Dynaudio monitors. Demo-ing in stores is a hit/miss. Some will allow, some don't - the products are tested to work.

Err, the Accuphase E-407 is a 24 kg amp. It's gonna be hard to lug that around the train system.