Thoughts on 845 set monoblocks

Your preference and why.
seadogs1

Showing 6 responses by phaelon

Hi Wylmars, Congratulations on the Westminsters. I can’t speak from personal experience, but I’ve heard it said that while Westminster specifications seem to suggest they'll be a good match with small SET amps, they only come alive with more power. But even if that’s true in general, I’m sure its validity is room and program dependent. However, with that in mind, there is a pair of Viva Verona mono-blocks (28W/Ch SET) for sale on Audiogon right now. Something that might be worth considering.
Like Charles, I haven’t heard Audion but have been favorably impressed by Viva. If you’re concerned about claims that Viva amps are slow (I’ve heard that claim elsewhere), all things being relative, I actually thought they were fast. Keep in mind that other factors could be involved - tube selection has a huge impact on Viva amps in my experience.

I’m not recommending Viva to you Wylmars. Even if I heard them with the Westminsters and loved them, I would hesitate to do that - it’s too personal of a decision. But if you are seriously considering Viva, I recommend that you call Amedeo Schembri, the amps designer. I wouldn’t be surprised if he knew the actual amps for sale.
Wylmar, I found nothing wrong with your question. Most of my experience with Viva comes from years of listening to a good friend’s Solista. He’s a man who takes the challenge of optimizing his system’s performance to the level of fanaticism. I know he’s tried quite a few tube combinations and found that the Viva is fairly selective of the tubes it likes. He calls Amedeo regularly and finds him very accommodating. I urge you to call him too. He can advise you on the particulars of the unit for sale as well as tubes that will be synergistic with your amp and the speaker load. Another reason you should make his acquaintance is that he continually offers upgrades. I know that’s not a direct answer to your question, but I don’t feel qualified to advise you on a tube set.
Wylmars, In my experience, too many people try to force their 845 amps to accept tubes that don’t conform to the amps operating specs. The problem comes when they find a tube that they like but the amp doesn’t. Buy a good quality amplifier; get the right tubes, and I doubt that you will share your friends experience. The task might seem daunting, but the time and effort spent in getting it right will be well rewarded.
Wylmars, I’ve reached out to my friend who owns the Solista. When he gets back to me, I’ll forward the information to you privately. Did you actually buy Vivas?