Thinking of buying a solid state amp

I will be moving soon, my BAT 150SE might not work in the new environment due to hotter weather and smaller listening room. My speakers (Aerial 20T) requires lots of power so I can't go BAT 75SE route, I have not found other tube amps physically smaller to sound anywhere as good as BAT either.

So I have two options. Buy a good solid state and sell my BAT. Usual suspects are Pass 350.5, Bryston 14B-SST, McIntosh 501, etc. Question is will I be happy with anyone of them coming from BAT?

My second option is to buy some class D like Bel Canto or Nuforce and keep my BAT to use during cooler days.

I will rather have 1 (or 1 pair) amp than 2, but will any of the above (other suggestions welcome) make a tube guy happy? In my 20+ years of audio journey, I have owned 10+ solid state amps but they never lasted over a couple months.

Pre amp is an Einstein.
semi

Showing 1 response by jw94055

Tube pre with class "d". I have a custom built 12au7 based pre and a Hypex class "d". Been running the combo for about 18 months. I think it sounds extraordinarily great. Tight highs, tight deep bass, extreme detail but, believe it or not, it still has that "warm" tube sound. I have heard class d amps with ss pre's and I think the sound is thin and dry. It reminds me of the early days of cd players through solid state everything. That's why I went to a tube pre. Have tried a variety of ss amps through the years. Tried a Tripath based class "d" and it sounded fine, but the Hypex is, in my system, better. Channel Islands is Hypex based, very well reviewed. I built my power amp using the upgraded Hypex components. I have no plans to replace it.