Thinking about getting a R2R DAC

Dear community,

I currently have a chord qutest DAC. I like it a lot, very full sound, accurate detailed and exciting.  However, whenever I go back to vinyl (with a well-recorded nice pressing) I find the sound so much more satisfying.  There is a warmth, yes, but there is a presence, a 'there-ness' that I just don't get with the digital.  I'm wondering if an R2R DAC would get me closer to that?  my budget would be around the same as the qutest.  I was looking at the MHDT Orchid or the Border Patrol.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the Qutest.  I am thinking of putting it in the upstairs system to pair with the Node2i I have up there.  Any thoughts?  Will analog always just be a different animal than digital?

Currently in the main system I have a Sonore uRendu feeding the Qutest which is going to a LTA MZ2 going to a Pass XA 30.5

thanks!
adam8179

Showing 2 responses by parker65310

While Stereophile has always been my go-to for reviews keep in mind they don’t review every DAC (includes the MHDT Orchid) and most, if not all, of the DACs you cite are considerably more expensive. In the Orchid’s case there is an excellent review by 6Moons that is quite consistent with my experience 2+ weeks into owning it. Keep in mind the DAC segment, in particular, is very focused on state-of-the-art features when how it sounds to ones particular ears far outweighs anything else. For $1,300 the Orchid sounds incredible and I have the ability of greatly changing the sound by rolling the analog stage tube. For me, non-fatiguing “musicality” is more important than “analytical” presentation that can sound very etched. To each their own.
I’ve got the BlueSound Node2. About 2 weeks ago I purchased the MHDT Orchid. I use Tidal Hi-Fi exclusively. The Node2 does all of the MQA unfolding and then sends it to the Orchid via digital coax. I opted for the upgraded Tung-Sol 2C51 tube that Linear Tube offers (total of $1,300). I couldn’t be happier with my choice. I’m into musical much more than analytical. I listen to music literally all day long every day and the last thing I want is ear fatigue. Before purchasing I spoke to Nicholas with Linear Tube Audio, Jiun the main designer of the Orchid and Terry, the 6Moons reviewer whose review turned me onto the Orchid. They were all great and Terry provided me with many great tube options and sources. He’s tried everything under the sun. In his opinion, the Orchid is his favorite DAC at any price point. He’s reviewed many over the years, including very expensive units. Feel free to message me directly. I know everything you would want to know about the Orchid (as well as the balanced Pagoda if you are wanting balanced XLR for 2x the price of the Orchid). I also thoroughly researched the Border Patrol DAC which Linear Tube Audio also happens to sell (tube is on the power supply stage instead the analog stage like in the Orchid).