Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
bluetone...

Your post did not mention if your pair of 3.5's came complete with the bass equalizer - IMHO the most important component of the model.  I have had six pairs of Thiels - starting with the 2,2,  2.3,  three pairs of 3.5 (don't ask),  3.6, and currently with a pair of 2.4's, which I am currently selling here on A'gon because I am returning to a monitor/subwoofer setup.  This will buy me the time I am willing to endure to find yet ANOTHER pair of 3.5's to purchase - regardless,  almost,  of price.  I am genuinely excited by the possibilities mentioned in this forum of updating 3.5's.

Like yourself, I began this epic journey returning to hifi with some fairly low-to-mid-fi equipment.  To recount all of the associated equipment I have thrown at these speakers since finding this site,  and this forum,  would bore the ears off even the most phile of audiophiles,  so I won't.  Suffice it to say that it's been a LOT.

I ask whether or not your pair came complete with the bass equalizer because,  IMHO,  the 3.5 doesn't necessarily benefit from employing one since,  with the bass eq employed in the chain,  the frequency response is 20HZ - 20KHZ.  The one issue with being able to employ the bass eq in the chain is that it required separates to do so.  An integrated amplifier or a receiver - which is just another,  busier integrated amplifier - required looping the eq through a tape monitor which,  again IMHO,  kind of negated the benefits the bass eq provided by adding another thing in the chain.  ( I apologize for getting so technical here. )

I absolutely concur with your statement that more power improves the sonics at low to moderate listening levels.  Eventually I was able to settle upon various amps that provided 150 watts @ 8ohms,  300 @ 4 ohms - the latter representing the load of "most" Thiel models and way more power than I would ever throw at them.  To my humble ears the 3.5's bested any other model I have owned in reproducing music at low to moderate volume levels.  I jumped off of the first two models mentioned too quickly to recall how well they managed to perform at my listening levels,  but I hasten to add that it was not because they were deficient in any way,  more so because they were so damn good and I wanted to move up the Thiel foodchain.

Don't be an idiot like me - hang onto your 3.5's forever.  Like every Thiel model they're an investment,  not a purchase.  Enjoy 'em!

oblgny,
mine did come with the eq, I have it plumbed between my preamp and amplifier.  The preamp has two sets of pre-out, so I run one pair to eq to amp, the other pair to active subwoofer.  I keep the eq button on 40 since I have the sub, I don't know if that matters but the less stress on the woofers the better (??).  Honestly I think I could take the eq out of the chain and not hear much of a difference.  The Scanspeak mids are 12W/8524G00 models, so once I get my mids back (and didn't they come from you on Long Island?), I'll be able to compare.
bluetone...
Are you they guy who drove here and picked them up???
Jeeze....

Rob @ Coherent repaired my first paid of mids years ago when I drove a phillips head screwdriver through the cone trying to find out why the sound was intermiitent.  That pair of speakers was gifted to  my nephew not long afterward.  He still has them.

Viva la 3.5 !
The seller is taking quite a few rhetorical / marketing liberties to differentiate the SE from the 'regular' 2.4!