The Truth About Preamps

I'm wondering now that we're in the digital age with so many cd players having variable outs, what does a high quality preamp do for a system? I've heard so many different stories on either you get more detail straight in or that you get more bloom with a preamp. I would think that if you had a musical cd player such as a Cary running straight into a musical and smooth amp such as a Classe or Conrad-johnson you wouldn't need a preamp...all this given you have only cd as your source...I'm just wondering what you guys think and your experience running a cd player straight into an amp. I'm thinking of running a Theta Miles straight into a Classe CA-300
totalmlb

Showing 1 response by br3098

FACT!!! most sources today that have variable volume output have output stages that equal and sometimes better most preamps, especially tube ones.
George, what analog source doesn't absolutely need a preamplifier gain stage?

I have been in this game for a long time, as a listener, distributor and dealer. Not all passive/active "preamp" devices are equal but I have never heard a passive unit that sounded anywhere near as good as a decent active preamp, at all price points over $1K. The key is matching the preamp to your upstream and downstream components. For me, preamps are the heart of my systems. AMps come and go but great preamps stay (almost) forever.