The Psychology of Constant (Equipment) Change

Anybody have an answer?

I have a decent selection of preamps, amps, integrateds and speakers to choose from and I find myself swapping out gear constantly.  And it's not because anything sounds bad.  Quite contrary, really.

After most swapping sessions, I'm generally really satisfied and quite enjoy the sound quality.  But within a few weeks I'm swapping stuff out again.

What would be the diagnosis for my condition?

128x128audiodwebe

audiodwebe OP

200 posts

This is what I mean by a desire to constantly change gear.  I can never leave good enough alone.

I think for me I “wonder” how a certain speaker will sound in my current room since not all my speakers have made their way into the system.  Or wonder how one of my speakers will sound with whichever amp is currently supplying the juice.

@audiodwebe there must be a layman’s pop psychology forum better suited to diagnose you 😜

I suspect @bigtwin is pretty close for the typical circumstance - rotating gear seems a likely surrogate for a shopaholic fix and could also justify buying even more, at least periodically. I don’t like buying electronic stuff, and I don’t think I’m the “norm” in that regard. Nothing might sound definitively better than the rest for too long if you like buying stuff.

A maybe-relevant counterpoint is that I focus on inquiry-based research outside my stereo hobby, perhaps that’s why I have limited wish to exercise similar behavior towards my music listening setup. I “get my fill” elsewhere? I used inquiry-based approach on my stereo setup in defining and devising what I wanted from my listening experience early on. Whether it was more luck or learning that got me what I wanted seems irrelevant. The curiosity many audiophiles have for kit-swapping has always struck me as an exercise of fun with pseudoscience: casual experimentation without proper controls or full understanding of the process, selectively including the bits that enhance their enjoyment of said process. I think this is a frequent basis of the “I trust my ears only” camp. And as long as their takeaway doesn’t result in pushing self-concocted rules onto others about stuff that has not been demonstrated (e.g. sonic differences in cables), I see no harm in it. As least provided all bills get paid 😅

”There’s no perfect solution” also isn’t limited to one’s opinion, but depends on the physics of how your playback kit handles different masters of music. Those are all engineers’ / artisans’ impressions on what sounded “correct” via a multitude of studio setups and a handful of personal opinions. It’s very unlikely that one specific chain will get all specific masters’ tracks and instruments/effects to sound equally ideal for a person who listens to/for things I sometimes consider sonic minutia. Stereo mixing and the unending plethora of hifi kit devices to throw at it are quicksand to stasis in satisfaction for certain folks’ personalities. Who gives a flying flock (of feathers)? If you don’t, then literally no worries, eh? 😉

One psychological size fits all doesn’t seem to apply in this hobby no matter what some folks might tell ya otherwise.

Audiophilia nervosa is encouraged by equipment manufacturers who have to make you wonder about your existing gear if they are to sell to you.

I resist it, and it helps because I just shift some gear from one system to another every few years (I have 3 major systems and one minor one).

@wspohn

Totally agree, after a few decades of changing out gear came to realize it is the change itself that gets the endorphins going. No need to buy new stuff (it’s all just same old wine in new bottles at higher $$$). Just keep a couple decent amps and preamps and 2-3 different types of speakers that each do something really well but are different and interchange your own gear ever 6-12 months. Various combinations for variety! IT WORKS! Full satisfaction and endorphins without actually buying any new bottles. Plus even more endorphins when you see your $$$ savings increasing and not being depleted by buying new bottles to effect a change that never remains satisfying anyway! If you can be satisfied (very rare) and stop changing gear; then you have just beat the "cycle for needed change" condition and deserve applause!

@audiodwebe

You have answered your own question and diagnosis is you are perfectly normal. You have self treated through gained wisdom and realize all you have to do is swap your own gear around. It’s all about the endorphins from change. That’s all it is and you can achieve it without buying new stuff if you have a variety of components already. If new stuff stopped the cycle (never does based on used market) you wouldn’t see the huge amount of really good gear on the used market. Clearly it’s just the change that feeds the endorphin release! Of course, if one has an endless supply of cash and finds it enjoyable to keep buying new gear all the time, they should just go ahead and enjoy themselves; however,  it’s still about "that desire for change, that great new change in sound, those endorphins", albeit it always grows old needing another change, over and over; that is the root stimulus behind all this.