the process is more challenging than the result

it is my hypothesis that the process of "perfecting" or attempting to attain a specific "sond" from one's stereo system is more challenging and enjoyable than listening to the stereo system after a particular "result" has been acieved.

while it is enjoyable to listen to music on a stereo system, the steps taken to satisfy your sonic goals are more interesting, self-actualizing and "fun", than passively listening to music.

as has been said, one can get most of the benefits of listening to music on a table radio, that one gets from listening to music played through a well set-up stereo system.

there is no substitute for experimenting, tinkering,trial and error ,experiencing new "sounds", and hopefully,achieving the type of sound one truly desires.

such a quest, could be the reason so many used components are available for sale.

many are in this hobby because they are chasing their dream of sonic utopia, rather than strictly to listen to music.
mrtennis

Showing 1 response by cruz123

I love music and love the listening process. I have music on most of the time, i.e. at home, in my car, etc. That having been said, I am also a "gear head" and greatly enjoy the search process piecing together the best system possible (within my budget) to improve my listening enjoyment.

I think this process is true of most serious hobbyists. I have friends that play guitar (as do I) that are constantly buying and selling instruments in hopes of finding that "holy grail" guitar. I know guys that own $5k instruments that are very average players. I have friends that fish that are constantly upgrading their gear. I know guys with $1k fly rods. A $50 rod does the same job, just not as well. I know golfers that buy a new set of clubs every year or that have owned dozens of putters, and they justify it if knocks a couple of strokes off their score. In these examples, it doesn't mean that these people like playing guitar, fishing or golfing any more or less than anyone else, it just means that they like having top quality gear that will allow them to enjoy their hobby to the fullest and they have to means to do so. I see audiophilia the same way. Just because I enjoy buying and selling gear, one shouldn't assume that I have placed that process above the end goal, i.e. enjoying music.