The majic of early 1970's rock and it's influence-

Starting with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones in the sixties; then adding in the Vietnam War, and the sexual revolution, which also occurred at this time, I think the time frame of 1970-1975 created the majority of rock's geniuses, the likes of which probably won't be seen again. I use, for examples- Jimmy Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Yes, Elton John, Genesis, the Allman Brothers, Janis Joplin, Eric Clapton, Jethro Tull, Santana, and Neil Young, just to name a few. I think earlier (pre 1970) rock concerts of large attendance, such as the Beatles tours and Woodstock also had a profound influence on the social change during this time. What do you think?
talon4

Showing 1 response by ozfly

I agree with both Swampwalker and Viridian.

While that was a very influential period for that kind of music, I believe that jazz fans would talk of different eras of genius (depending on the type of jazz in question), modern rock fans would speak of Nirvana et al, rap fans would be focused on yet another period. The great thing is that music keeps changing and there are geniuses right around the corner.

Yes, I loved the late 60's and early 70's and would argue that the music was fantastic and it was a significant influence on later music. I believe it was one of the most creative periods ever, but I'm biased by my history. Heck, even those folks were influenced by the blues and rock of earlier days. Nonetheless, a classical era for great music and creativity!