The issue of lowballing... What does that mean?

I LOVE Audiogon. I have purchased and sold many items here and it is a wonderful resource for audio nuts of every variety. Big solid state, tubes, analog, vinyl? Sure it all goes.

So I see posts that are make offer but the seller says "lowballers" will be ignored, vilified, cursed and cussed. So why have a make offer sale? Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter what you paid for it, or how much you love it. And why be upset? Declining requires one mouse click. Countering maybe five or six clicks or keystrokes. Just curious as this is a commerce site.

I have received offers that seemed really low to me, but I am still happy to have interest and I always counter offer. I recently sold a Clearaudio TT for a lot less than I thought it was worth. But all the offers were low and I had to rethink my view. It ultimately sold as a real bargin but I'm happy and so is the buyer.

Your thoughts?
128x128superbike
sign of the times...Something for nothing crowd WITH AN ATTITUDE!
Thirteen years on the Gon and yes the slide has started about three years ago...
One ethnic group seems to take a particular pleasure in EXTREME lowballing or ,perhaps, they have no soul!
There, i said what a lot of you are thinking...:-)
Truth in the statement that a repost with "no offers" may eliminate SOME of the problems but still you will get those that don't read the ad for information before asking stupid questions already answered in the ad!
I've commented many times, haggling and low ball are part of most cultures.  If you travel to Asia, Europe, So America ... nobody pays full price.

If it's a lowball offer, just ignore it.   What's the big deal??  Remember internet has no boundaries and when you list something, it's a business and not a hobby.  .

Recently I sold an expensive PC, 2 offers in 1st day from CA and not Spanish speaking.  1st offer was very low so I ignore and 2nd was better, I countered and we agreed on a deal.   

That’s what’s wrecking this country...the inability to tell it like it is. Other cultures laugh at our political correctness. Grow a pair! I think you need to stay out of the proverbial kitchen if you are so easily offended.

+1

"Grow a Pair"???  Since when does rudeness in insulting people become second nature and acceptable?

Enough of my bandwagon.

First Sellers come in many different types:

1.  Those that price items at or near current market value and won't accept offers slightly less than that number.

2.  Those that price items at or near current market value and will accept offers much less than that number.

3.  Those that have done no pricing research whatsoever and price items well above market value for whatever reason.

4.  Those that price the item based on whatever criteria they hold and are willing to negotiate the price down.

Purchasers also come in many different types:

1.  Those that want the item for themselves and know the fair market value of the item and are willing to pay that amount.

2.  Same as above, but want the cheapest price they can find.

3.  Same as above, but also believe that price negotiations is mandatory and insulting if one doesn't haggle.

4.  Those that don't really want the item for themselves, but only want to flip the item for much more money and want to buy at the lowest price and sell at the highest price they can sell at.

did I miss anyone?

I can't speak for others, but, I buy because I want the item for myself and I am willing to pay a fair market price for the item.  I research the item and determine the fair market price (blue book typically) and try to pay that amount.  I don't try to ask for less than the asking price if I know the original price is fair.  That is me. However, as I said, I can't speak for others.

When I post an item for sale on Audiogon, I research the prices first and typically post a price that is slightly below the fair market value.  In other words I price it to sell.  That does not mean that I am desperate and will die if I don't make the sale.  I've dealt with flippers and lowballers for years.  I simply ignore their offers, because Yes, it is insulting and they should know better. 

But, there is no harm if they try to get a very low price.  I just don't (fortunately) have to respond to it.

It is amazing how this society has turned insults around and try to place the blame on the person that is being insulted, instead of the insulter. Insult someone's culture and it's their fault.  Wow!  Insult a person that posted an object for sale at fair market value that was in turn insulted by the lowballed offer and decided to not respond to the lowballer's offer and it is that person's fault.  Wow! 

Maybe it's just me, but there is a large degree of simple, evil rudeness crawling from under rocks lately.

Just ignore the lowball offer or not and say no thanks.  Either way, neither is rude.

You are going to sell your item eventually to someone else that really wants it and will appreciate it.  Be patient.

enjoy