The high range on my speakers are harsh...

I have noticed since I set up my system that the high range is rather tinny and crackles at times. I have tried tuning the treble and bass on my amplifier, but the problem still persists.

I have a Rotel RA-972 set up to two Paradigm v6 Mini Monitors. The quality of this problem differs on the inputs that I am using at any given time. Playing music from my laptop through a RCA to stereo input is the worst, however the audio quality when watching movies or television (connection RCA to RCA) is problematic as well. All my speakers are connected by 16 gauge speaker wire with 24k banana plugs.

If anyone has any ideas how I can optimize my system, it would be much appreciated.
kfwulf

Showing 1 response by cruz123

Brightness/harshness is often caused by poor speaker positioning in relation to the listener. The distance from the walls, the distance between the speakers, the distance from the speakers to the listener, speaker height, toe-in and tilt can all cause brightness. Depending on the size of your room, you may not be able to accomplish a perfect setup, but I've found that small things like reducing the amount of toe-in and or tilting the speaker back slightly can reduce harshness.

Here's a good summary of things to try.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/speakerplacement.html