The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions
I have looked over that Technics technology and hope that it may trickle down into more affordable components as right now 20k is a very hard sell to non believers.

It like everything in technology life it will come to the masses. Just look at all the Formula 1 improvements that all come to your family car within a very short time.

Hopefully somebody can make it happen for a lot less dollar!
It will, those same EPC guys who made the GAN transistors for that Technics SE-R1, were also the inventors of the "power mosfet" many years ago.
They are the inventors (Formula 1 guys) and they sell their inventions to the big semiconductor manufacturers, who then stamp them out by the thousands, and supply them to the masses.

Cheers George

I was wondering when George would chime in.  George thinks he knows what is wrong with class D and he lets us know constantly.  However, the tide is already turned as witnessed by the every increasing posts of those that have dumped their class a and class a/b amps in favor or class D.   George, please read this review of the brand new $8000 mono blocks from Nuprime and how they compare with all kind of amps.  Only the $40,000 CH precision was more informative:

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/analog-reviews/amplifier-reviews/nuprime-evolution-one/

And this is just the beginning.  We will soon have amps at even lower price points that are going to surprise everyone.  Stay tuned......my amps are soon to be released.

The switching frequency and even what output devices you use are only a small part of the story.  Every single thing has to be done correctly or you lose the quality.  My amps are using the latest Icepower modules (IceEdge) and switch at 500K......however, with the right massaging, they produce sound that is beyond my own designed class A amps....this is serious sound!  Those who have heard the latest Class D know what is really happening.  Those critics that have not heard the very latest are simply in the dark.

Go to https://www.primare.net and read the reviews that their Primare 35 gets, do not have a class d amp myself, but maybe the way to go in future.
My amps are using the latest Icepower modules (IceEdge) and switch at 500K......however, with the right massaging, they produce sound that is beyond my own designed class A amps
I see just someone shilling his wares.
Massaging 500khz switching frequency will only get you half the way to a happy ending.
Try 1.5mhz like Technics did, and you'll finish on a bigger high. Or 3mhz and you be in orbit.
It will come soon enough, as I said EPC the makers of Technics SE-R1 GAN transistors are the Formula 1 pioneers of the Class-D world, just like they did with Mosfet transistors many years back, and look how quick they took off, must have made EPC some crazy big royalties, they are inventors that sell their patented inventions to the highest bidder. The forula 1 guys of Class-D.

http://epc-co.com/epc/AboutEPC/Team.aspx

http://epc-co.com/epc/Applications/ClassDAudio.aspx

Cheers George

This morning on the morning show they said electric cars are not going to take off for another 15 years. Where are we at with class D right now? Everyone keeps saying that the future is class D but where is that in the future?
They’ve been saying that since the 1910s- but about 1912 Ford and Edison had an electric that could cruise at 60mph and had a 100 mile range, using Edison’s nickel iron batteries, which had a service life of about 25 years. Imagine what things would look like if Edison’s labratory hadn’t been burnt to the ground 2 weeks after Ford and he made that announcement! See ’Internal Combustion’ by Edwin Black.
Class D is very attractive because of energy, just like electric cars. The difference is that we can have Class D although IMO it still has a way to go.
@georgehifi
this then allows the low order switching noise output filter to do it’s job completely without leaving any effects and any left over switching noise artifacts within the audio band.
I think you don’t understand how the filter works, based on this statement. The Technics filter does not filter out all the residual, which is what the leftover switching artifact is called. The residual is always a very clean sine wave; the real question is what amplitude does it have? The filter really has nothing to do with ’left over switching noise artifacts’!! What can happen in a class D is the switching noise can radiate into other parts of the circuit where it can be rectified and amplified. Again, the filter has nothing to do with this- the noise problem is dealt with through good layout and compact (surface mount) design.
@minorl

In car audio it was really the only way to go to get the power output needed. you can’t do it from 12 VDC.

Just a correction: My Denon car stereo amp that I had in my Bronco (RIP) made 150 watts per channel and was an AB amplifier. It employed an inverter to boost the DC voltage. Inverters were used back in the old days when car radios had tubes in them, although they were a different technology, using something called a ’vibrator’ which was essentially a high speed relay that reversed the DC to the power transformer about 50 times per second.
@kosst_amojan
It’s also nice not having a massive pile of filters trying to turn garbage into a signal again.

This statement is problematic. If you listen to digital, something similar is happening there (and of course its an objection that analog guys often raise). And the Berning amplifiers employ a filter at their output too- and those amps are class A or AB despite a switching component that has to be filtered- and it gets very good reviews!

The filter on a class D is usually quite simple; there is not a ’massive pile’. If you raise the switching frequency sufficiently, the inductance of the speaker itself can be sufficient to attenuate the residual. The filter is there mostly to prevent the speaker cable from acting as an antenna for the switching frequency. Because the filter is usually set somewhere well below the switching frequency, the residual is a simple low distortion sine wave which won’t cause interference to higher frequency (radio) services.