The best var. out CD player for under 1500 used?

Seeking input from other 'goners for a CD player with volume control for direct connection to my Spectral DMA 90. Any suggestions? I need to simplify my system, and was hoping to do it for around a grand but will go 50% higher if needed. 24/96 is a pre-req, but SACD is not. Any input will be appreciated...

Showing 3 responses by 1741

Thanks for the input on the Quad, Cary, Linn and Audio analogue. I should mention that I currently am using a Simaudio Moon Nova/Uther/Genesis Lens front end - but I am looking to simplify the system and am hoping that the shorter signal path, the upsampling and SACD will yield some sonic benefit relative the the 20 bits I am currently operating.
Thanks for all of the great input. It looks as though the Quad and the Cary 308 are the main contenders. Does anyone have an opinion between these two? I am looking forward to simplifying the system a bit and going higher rez. The only real issue is impedance related on the Spectral side of the equation, and I doubt that I can answer this question without simply giving it a try. Any educated guesses on the probability that I might fry the amp with the Quad or Cary direct?
Bmanca, I have heard this as well. And, I surely do not want to trash my unit-- the Spectral is one of my most prized pieces. But it seems as though it would come down to output voltages and impedences correct? I wonder if a poor match would be audible or if the unit would slowly be damaged? Anyone have any input on this?