The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker

Vandersteen 7 at Audio Connection.

Not that I could ever afford it.

I was almost on the edge of tears.

Which amp set up was it with? 

Bob, I got the amp back, but no speakers yet.  Hopefully soon. AS you know it's been a while, lol.  I am itching at getting everything back into the system. 

I have decided to sell off my Basis 1400 TT with Gingko base along with my factory rebuilt and updated Rhea though.  I'm also going to put the Synergistic Research Powercell Ten mk 2 with the Tesla cord, on the market too.  Time to pare down a bit and go from there.  Time to move away from analog as it's hard for me to get up and change albums sides now, so there's that.  As for the SR piece, I want to just go back to wall power and then refigure things.  It's a great piece as you have heard, but I have dedicated circuits and it already is pretty clean.  I may up the ante eventually and get the Niagara power unit as I have heard the 7000 and it's killer.  

Honestly I don't remember exactly but I believe they were Ayre MXR Twenty monos.

John could tell you.

He was also using another jawdropping piece of equipment the Ayre pre KRX Twenty. Which is what he was demonstrating for me even though he knew I couldn't afford it. It was just some time spent listening to music and demonstrating the quality of Ayre products. I remember that because of its astonishing sound and the, ahem, interesting price.

gottcha.  That is the best preamp I've ever heard.  I've heard it in so many different systems at houses as well as stores.  I'd start a full system with that pre if I had to. I'd use a lesser amp like a 5 series if needed as to me, it's that much of a difference in sound quality.

Yes, it probably was the MXR that he had on for you.  I can't wait to hear the 9 series.  If set up properly, those extra bass units will really smooth out any room.