Technics 1200g vs Rega rp8, VPI aries, avenger, Basis 2000, Linn LP12 etc. Can it compete?

I am thinking of upgrading my Turntable in the next few months.  It has been a long journey as believe it or not, the VPI scout really is a great table and has kept me satisfied for a long time.  However, I am looking for my last table.  Has anyone had experience with the new Technics 1200g? is it really as good as the best from VPI, Basis, SME, Feikert, etc.  It has intrigued my interest and from what I see it looks like it can easily hold its own against some of the best.  What headshells, mats, record clamps work best?  Can you use a clamp with this table?  Looking forward to your replies.
tzh21y

Showing 4 responses by darkstar1

The VPI prime is not just different than the Scout, its flat out better. You don't need to have great ears or spend several hours to figure this out. I have had them side by side.

Anyway I don't think you will go wrong with any of these tables. I would definitely buy used. I would have the Technics, VPI and the Basis on my list. 

Tzh21y

Yeah hearing is subjective and you prefer the Scout. I seriously have to ask you do you not hear a bigger sound stage, more clarity and better dynamics of the Prime? Is it just the presentation you prefer?

I have heard Aires setups and think it sounds way closer to the Prime  than the Scout sounds. Just IMO

I would not hesitate to buy the new Technics. I love the old 1200 and how easy it is to use. I think a used old technics beats quite a bit of tables with huge price tags. I can only image the new one will get that last bit of performance the old 1200 didn't get with the rock solid speed and reliability.
Tzh21y 

totally agree the system as a whole makes such a difference. Its so frustrating trying to compare turntables at any price category really. Its so hard to even find a place with 3 similarly priced turntables with the same cart and system. 

It would be amazing to hear/read a fair shootout at the 3000-4000k range. 

I read a post here on gon with a member who had the old 1200, the new 1200G and the Prime with ring and speed controller. His take away was he liked the Technics 1200G the best but the Prime was close. Then went on to say you would be surprised how close the old 1200 came to the sound of the newer TTs. 

My experience is the old 1200 is in fact a whole lot of performance for sub $500 dollar price. It's not quite as smooth or refined but it is way closer than I ever expected honestly. 

Bill I was talking about your tables and your comparisons. 

I was bringing it up again on purpose. Why? Basically for the exactly  point in your last post. 

This is suppose to be fun. If you are willing to spend any amount to get the last degree out of your collection go for it. I just think that at some point these differences and "upgrades" hit a point of severe diminishing returns and sometimes that is lost in the discussion. I know before I had heard several turntables I would have never thought the differences would be so small to my ears by reading the forums (yes I understand this is a personnel thing). 

I will just suggest this..... If you are serious about spending $$$$ on a turntable go out and buy a craiglist Technics turntable for 250-550. Put a decent cart on it (nothing crazy). 

Take it and put it directly against a $$$$ turntable in the same system. Then compare. If you hear the clogging or hear something horrible in the 1200 fair enough. It will inform you of what diminishing returns sound like and maybe just give you a jumping off point on how much you are willing to drive in.