T+A DAC200 vs PSAudio Direct Stream MkII vs MCD12000?

Has anyone compared any two of these three DACs? T+A DAC200, PSAudio Direct Stream MkII, or (awaiting the groans...) McIntosh MCD12000?

mhwilliford

I haven’t heard the PS Audio DSD Mk II, but I had a very heavily modified MK I as I was one of those on the PS Audio Forums that made every improvement possible, including the upgraded Edcor transformers, external power supply board with a Farad Super3 Linear Power Supply, EMI protective sheeting, etc, all which made very big improvements. The DSD MK II was based on many of these improvements. When I became a T+A dealer months after, the DAC 200 easily surpassed my modded DSD MK I. That’s all I can say about that, though I know PS Audio continues to release firmware upgrades to their MK II. 

I can’t comment on that particular McIntosh unit, but I haven’t been impressed with any McIntosh DAC I’ve come across. 

Thanks all - these are good thoughts.  I am amidst a car restoration project, so just refining my game plan until I have disposable funds for this purchase.  I am thinking I will need to purchase both the DAC200 and PSA DS MkII, audition in home, and return one or the other dependent on best system fit.  

The idea of converting all my PCM files to DSD would be a bit of a step backward in the journey since I really do like my Aurender N200 (especially now that it is becoming Roon compatible), so working very well with PCM as the "feed stock" is probably a criteria I should have mentioned.

Thanks again everyone.

I think you have a good plan for this. I thought I would mention that you may very well find the DAC200 spectacular on PCM with your Aurender unit. Many do. 

There are so many variables. The quality of the streamer (you have a very good one), and input source on your DAC (s/pdif, AES, USB) and quality of your network in front of your source all make a difference. 

I mention these things so you are not dissuaded from trying the DAC200. PCM was very good - and I was comparing it to another $7500 DAC and a $10,000 DAC in PCM. In my system - because I could - DSD was better. 

Good luck with your car restoration. We hope you come back to this thread and let us know what you found.

Best,

@mhwilliford I have a number of clients that have purchased both the N200 and DAC 200 on my counsel. It’s a popular combination that sounds excellent. They also look great together as their form factors are similar. 

Personally I prefer the N200 via spdif into the DAC 200 unless you have a TOTL USB cable like the FTA Sinope. Using a quality coax into the DAC 200 results in really natural sonics even in PCM mode as it takes advantage of the clock in the N200 and then gets reclocked by the DAC 200.