System for a teenager

I need advice to build a system for one of my sons school mates and his father. I have been advised to keep budget as low as possible but strive for quality sound.

My idea is buy used gear here at Audiogon starting with 2 series Vandersteen's, DVD-CD player with volume control and moderate power tube amps.

Would especially appreciate ideas for the DVD-CD with volume control and ideas for moderate power tube amps.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

"Albert":

Getting a tube amp for a teenager to use, especially with Vandersteen 2s??? I don't know about that. I think that's like committing suicide if you ask me. His old man??? Well.... that's a different story. If this kid is anything like I was when I was a kid (though he may listen to rock..... when I was his age, my thing was the latest uptempo R&B jams that was out at the time, and later on.... Rap and Hip-Hop..... and in both cases, they involved plenty of dynamics and lots (and I do mean LOTS) of deep bass, and I wanted it VERY loud....... and given those three variables and parameters, I don't see anyway in hell as to how a tube amp fits into that equation), then I don't think that a tube amp should fit into his plans. The Vandersteens are fine (because due to their full range response, they're ideal for rock and roll, R&B, and Rap/Hip-Hop), but for a teenager, I would mate the Vandersteens to a 100W s/s amp instead (and a used amp would do for a kid..... and I wouldn't get anything terribly expensive either). Get a decent CD player, and he should end up with a pretty damn nice system if I don't say so myself. It would be a hell of a lot better than what I had when I was a kid.

Now for his old man on the other hand, if he likes the Vandersteens as well, I would say go for it. I can see using tubes for his system and all. And in that case, I would look for a used Counterpoint hybrid just like "Unsound" has suggested. I would also look for a Audio Research or "conrad-johnson" model in the 60W to 85W range. I would top his system off with a with a decent DVD/CD/SACD player.

I'm sorry if I wasn't that much helpful here, but I tried anyway.

Good Luck, Albert!!!! I am going to leave you on your own on this one.

--Charles--