Suck out at 165 hz...can't find the cause

I have been focusing on improving my room and dealing with its effects on sound quality. I have been able to deal with some peaks in the 40-100 Hz region, and my room/speakers now measure generally quite well.

But I have a fairly narrow band suck out centered at 165 Hz, that is fairly deep (around 10 db). I have tried moving the speakers, putting up soft stuff (blankets, pillows, human beings) along the axes of the room, etc. Nothing seems to affect it at all.

Could this be something related to the speakers themselves (e.g. internal speaker cross-overs)?

This is an analog two-channel system with a Jeff Rowland Capri pre-amp, Kharma MP150 ampifiers and Wilson Benesch Curve speakers. Unfortunately, the reviews of these speakers do not have any measurements with them, so I don't have an external reference.

The amps are wonderful but are not super powerful, so I'm thinking that an RCS system won't help because trying to get rid of a dip of that degree will force the amps to work too hard and they probably won't be able to do it anyway.

Your thoughts as to what might be causing this and any advice on dealing with it are most appreciated.

Thanks!

--dan
dgaylin

Showing 1 response by hornguys

In the boundary dependent region - below 300 Hz - moving the listening location - even slightly - nearly always produces a much more noticeable difference than moving speakers or room treatments.

Best,

Jim