Subwoofers

I'm doing research on which subwoofers to pair with my Magnepan MG-IIIA's.   Do you have any recommendations. 

Thanks 
Mike 
zardozmike
One would assume that the perfect subwoofer pairing would be separately powered subwoofers built-in to the main speaker or what one may consider as a truly full range speaker. 

My experience with this type speaker systems low frequency extension (no experience with Vandersteen) is limited adjustability and most importantly limited placement. Modern subwoofer control technology can make possible placement, as it relates to room node reduction, more relevant than subjective sonic pairing. Using long inexpensive line level cabling and mounting subwoofer/s on dollies to find that rooms best subwoofer location/s  can greatly reducing room nodes without sacrificing the sub/s gain and maintaining optimum equalization.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/subwoofers-velodyne-dd-12plus-black-2016-05-17-home-theater-91201-...
With one or two DD Plus (used 10"s for less cost) one would have the flexibility to attain extremely accurate and flexible integration. You'd also have the ability to model the presentation of most any other subwoofer you desire and store it in one of six custom EQ'd presets as well as other remote controlled adjustments such as volume and phase which can be made from the listening position. Phase often changes from track to track on a single album.

Go to Velodyne.com and compare their Digital Drive Plus User's and Interface Manuals pdf's to most any other setup and placement information supplied by other manufactures. 

I'm using a REL T-9 with my Magnepan 3.7i's.  It integrates quite well  but the supplementation needed in my room with the 3.7i's is rather minimal.

LarryRS

Too funny how I would see this thread, since I was just thinking the other day how well my Definitive Super Cube 1 was performing. 10" 1500 watt Class D. Also within my system there are also 2 Definitive Tech. 14" 1800 watt Class D subs inside my main 7000SC's. I love my music - all of it and make no assumptions about what I listen to because I'm running 5600 watts of low frequencies! (I'm giggling as I type) Response down to 11 and 13hz if I remember correctly. 

If you've ever seen the movie "Interstellar" you'll appreciate what I'm about to say. When their ship takes off from earth, my house lifts off it's foundation and separates as it travels through our atmosphere, dropping stages until it reaches space and sound drops off as my house continues to beam through space. You feel like you are floating for a moment only because the house stopped shaking!

There is a Magellan on eBay right now. This is the most seamless sub woofer you will ever hear. It is incredibly quick because the driver is under 7 inches. But it goes incredibly low.
My system is strictly two channel audio just for music.   A booming subwoofer is not what I'm striving for.  It has to blend in with the music.  I'm intrigued by the magnepan DWM bass panel but just not certain yet.  I've done research on the suggestions all of you have given me, thanks for the suggestions.