Stylus replacement for Shure V-15 v MR

Hi All, I have two Shure V-15vMR cartridges that, like many, need new stylus. Question is: send in to Soundsmith for a re-tip and if so where is the "sweet spot" value wise of their three levels of service? Know each level provides a better end product but enough to justify the expense? Any opinions?

Also, any opinions on the Saunders replacement stylus that is now being marketed at very reasonable price ($79) Is this close enough in sound given the substantial savings?

Lastly, is the V-15 reputation more myth than material. I know it is a very good cartridge, but is it better to just invest the same amount of money into another make/model?

Any opinions greatly appreciated before I decide on a path to take in bringing these back to life.
Ag insider logo xs@2xwhyland

Showing 1 response by td160

I thought it might be of some interest to point out the mechanical/electrical differences between the V15V MR versus the V15VxMR. Apart from the fact that the V15VxMR and stylus assy were mfr'd in Mexico. Then look at the V15V versus the V15VMR in the same way. "MR", what does that moniker indicate?

When looking at replacement stylii through the Jico catalog it is noted that the V15VxMR and V15VMR stylus assemblies are not interchangeable.

I also note that the Jico catalog does list a replacement stylus assembly for both types. their assembly uses a cantilever made from an aluminum sleeve that holds a solid boron cantilever with a line contact diamond stylus.

It must have been circa 2000 when I purchased my V15VxMR new from an online retailer. Then a few years later I was able to get a replacement stylus assembly directly from Shure for the same cartridge. (Vn5xMR) This was before their remaining stock became exausted.

At the moment I've been comparing this cartridge versus an ADC XLM II improved, with both being mounted to an Infinity Black Widow tonearm (with graphite arm tube). Either one seems to behave well on this arm.

I bring this up in hopes that someone else has some experience/knowledge they might add on the subject of the V15V models.

-Steve