Stereophile review of the $30,000 tekton speakers

We have had many discussions/arguments over tekton speakers in the past, mainly involving a couple posters who thought their $4000 tektons sounded better than the highest price Wilson’s and other high budget speakers.

In the latest Stereophile magazine, they did a review of the $30,000 tekton’s. In this Steteophile issue, they rate these $30,000 tekton’s as class B. When you look at the other speakers that are in the class B section, you will notice most of these speakers range in price from $5000-$8000. So it looks like you have to spend $30,000 on a pair of tekton’s to equal a pair of $5000 Klipsch Forte IV’s sound quality. 
If I compare these $30,000 class B tekton’s, to some of the class A speakers, there are some class A speakers for 1/2 the price (Dutch & Dutch 8C, Goldenear triton reference), or other class A speakers that are cheaper (Magico A5, Kef blade 2).

p05129

Showing 17 responses by mahgister

I cannot contradict @grislybutter

+1

@mapman the story for me is about Erin and the future of reviews, not Tekton. It's legal drama, bullying of an individual by a corporation. I have been a victim of this type of nasty intimidation several times as an employee, a real estate buyer, I think the hype generated around this review and the forcing of taking it down has been more than appropriate. We live in a democracy (for now), it's good that we can support the little guy and empower him to stand his ground. He had sleepless nights, he lost weight, it's been one of his most stressful weeks of his life. It's not just "drama", it's someone's pain and suffering.

I used specs as minimal guidance but to decide what to buy i used statistics on users impressions... If they are enough users impression we can draw a "portrait"...

When i had taken the time to do it it worked...

Save in specific synergy case where the specs are not enough and no users reviews can help ...

There is way too much parameters associated with the potential of a piece of gear to be described well in a single review by someone using this piece of gear completely differently ..

I bought vintage products because it is way easier to buy good gear at low price... The numbers of users reviews through time tell all the story...

For new gear people use price tags more as an indicator ...At the highest level of the high end gear they use the specs and the number of zero behind the decimal points ... 😊

In all case acoustics room condition and body measures matter more than the choice between two amplifiers in the same price brackett or not too far of one another in the scale ... But people ignore this because it is way easier to change an amplifier than to change our living room appearence ... And a dedicated room may cost more than the high end system...

In audio bad publicity is not as in Politics better than no publicity... Politician under lobbies pressures sell wind or farts most of the time , designer sell product someone must review...

Threatening legal pursuit is the worst publicity a designer can think about ... I think Tekton designer is not very smart ... Sorry... And he must win the case... Good luck to him if the reviewer do not use any slander nor backbiting as it seems the case...

I guess Tekton got the attention now

Great post by a great soul...😉

Happy Easter to all .... including to all people we like to hate ... 😊

Viva Tekton ! Why not?

M. Alexander innovated and will probably go on ....

The last time i discussed with Amir for a week here he confused Fourier maps of sound with perceived sound. And he confused Fourier linear time domain with human brain non linear time domain.

People believe in their idols...

They forgot using their tools that they progressively become their slaves and no more their owners.

AcousticS rules audio not people taste nor the electrical tools...Certainly not price tags... 😊

Amir from Audio Science Review going NUTS on those forums expounding on why he is always right and his acolytes confirming whatever he says (and throwing the other Audiogon members off his site if they mention cabling, fuses, footers, etc).

I concur with the post of  arafiq...

I had no opinion and no idea for or against Tekton...

But his speakers are innovative...Who can debate this?

And the troubadour is in my price range and my needs for example...

then this designer offer a product of quality for all ...

Each had his taste, his needs, his specific room and his budget ....

Almost all audio threads are about gear branded names contest and cables...

What i learned was in none of these threads so interesting they could be if we look for a piece of gear...

By the way we must welcome even the more agressive or proud  designer here even if he threathened legal pursuit , at least he can inform us about his product specific ...😊

Then sincere welcome M. Alexander ...

My favorite speakers are inside :

I could not resist and i apologize ... 😊

I am sorry but you are not even wrong here...😊

I think most people spend too much money period and skip acoustics/psychoacoustics  experiments and understanding in the optimization of any piece of gear in a room ...Acoustics concepts are not panels on a wall ...

Ask mike lavigne which matter the most his dedicated room or an amplifier or a dac or a turntable or even a speakers upgrade ...

Speakers are the most flawed of all components. When building a system the electronics will mostly determine the potential of the speaker. An example is a Polk L600 at $3k with Burmester electronics will likely out perform a Magico A3 $15k with a budget integrated amp. My point is to many Audiophiles spend to much on speakers and skimp on electronics.

Speakers all pretty much do the same thing. People choose what they like and how much to pay based on whatever it is that matters to them. Ginormous speakers that cost less than other less humongous designs certainly will have a niche. That’s Tekton. Take ‘em or leave em. Just like any others. The arguments about what’s better are really pretty silly. Unless you got something to sell that is.

Sorry but speakers differ a lot by their design... Then you are wrong...

And yes you are right acoustics principle used in speakers/room relation makes all of them all equally possible choices of source to be located in a room.

😊

Some speakers are better by design but not ideal for all room and listenings habits and location...

Some other speakers not better than most by design could be the better for you in your acoustic set of constraints and in the Budget S.Q. /price ratio...

No speakers beat their room...

Most designer insist  less on this important point because nevermind the design any speakers must be installed in the right conditions to be optimally driven...

By the way i will soon post in the thread "The Mystery Of Sound Is Mysticism" ..

I invite Hilde45 to read it... 😊 He can try to patronize me if he want i will answer politely with arguments ...😁

it was one of the most important discovery in music history since Pythagoras...It is not a joke...And Hilde45 it will be about acoustic with an (s) ...😉

i will explain why with many articles and a book i will suggested ...

My best to all...

back to Tekton....

You are a patronizing pretentious ass from many years ago since the first time you answered my posts irritate by them... Patronizing me between calm period because you are a frustrate dude i thought that you are able to discuss ... 😊

I already tried anything : privage message in the beginning , i even apologize many times just for demonstrating my good faith , i congratulate you for good posts , i NEVER attack you ad hominem as you did...

I was always polite accept your criticism about my english because as you said to me " i am a well known corrector" bla bla...

Conclusion : If you dont like someone for any reason especially if someone dare to spoke about A. I. for example in the thread you started instead of discussing you quitted sulking because i was over your head here and you resemble a narrow mind...

The bad news is i like all people here even including you...

Then i will come back ...

My best to you ...For sure....😊

By the way being a "corrector"  you know when i spoke about acoustics with an (s)  it is not room acoustic the adjective...😊

Then all your sentence make no sense anymore and reflect your ignorance or your irritation and  frustation or the two , did you catch it : ?

I am pretty sure no one missed your post. It probably sounded familiar. Blah blah acoustics blah blah embedded... yeah. We know.

Unfortunately @mahgister giant killers are a myth….they don’t exist.
Is there garbage that’s massively overpriced? Absolutely. But, high quality and high performance typically has a corresponding price tag. This applies to everything - audio, video, cars, boats, watches, clothes, food, wine, what have you.
That’s just a reality of the world we live in. Enjoy what you have…that’s what counts.

You are completely right my friend...

I say it sincerely you are right about what you just said...

But you miss as most people what i spoke about ... Is it my poor mastery of English that does not help ? Probably ...

But it seems most people had no idea of what is acoustics ( not mere room acoustic only ) impact on a system well embedded and the huge difference between before and after... Because they never experienced that they think erroneously that i propose that my 100 bucks modified speakers so well embedded it is equal in sound quality potential some speakers well designed and more costlier ...Only an ignorant could claim that... 😊

This is not my point at all . Do you think i am completely deluded and cannot differentiate the higher design of my Magnepan’s friend or my past Tannoy dual concentric as superior in design and potential S.Q. compared to my actual modified low cost speakers so good they are ?😊

do you think that i can think one second that a low cost tube preamplifier as i own will rival an atmasphere tube preamplifier or a Berning tube preamplifier ? Seriously ?

Anyway....

People pay the heavy price ignoring acoustics concepts and experiments among other things they buy and upgrade and upgrade etc ....

To each his own... i will stay in my dreamed world... 😊

Acoustics rule the gear design and embeddings, upgrade dont rule acoustics...

We must learn how to embed a chosen system BEFORE upgrading because all three ways to install rightfully any system apply to all system nevermind their price ..¯

And for sure a minimal acoustic experience threshold is possible at low price...

But there is big difference between mike lavigne system and mine , this is not even necessary to say it; but the way he embed all his gear in his room house is the same basic knowledge we must use for any system at any price even a low cost one...

i wish you the best ...

thanks for your respectful way of discussing ... 😊

I live in a dreamed world... for sure... 😁

In the real world people think that the performance of any piece of gear on paper equal a S.Q. that cannot be experienced without specific ears/brain with specific HTRF, in specific room , in specific electrical grid , with or without vibration resonance control, and specific speakers... (and there is even more factors i cannot list here )

Installation and optimization process matter more than a gear piece choice especially if they could be near one another in performance nevermind the difference in price... Price matter but way less than people think in their "real " commercial world...

I will stay in my dreamed world where price tag matter but way less than other factors...

I dont give a damn about visual listening music... Tekton are ugly for sure... 😁

But i also thought that the price of speakers generally speaking matter way less than their installation in a room for some specific ears and head  measurement...

As usual reviewers spoke about price and design to sell them thats all ...

Why not studying how to implement any speakers?

Ok i will stay mute now ... 😊