Stereo or monoblocks

I recently bought a pair of the JBL HDI-3800 speakers. I also own a McIntosh C-2300 preamp. Should I buy a used McIntosh mc402 stereo power amp or try to find a pair of a different brands monoblocks? The new Schiit Tyr has my interest.

128x128thbullard3

Honestly, the mono vs stereo discussion has never really shown a clear winner. They’re good stereo designs and good mono designs. It will all come down to the particular implementation you are looking at. I have used both and the only advantage that I see in the mono is placement feasibility. The McIntosh MC402 is close to a dual mono design if that’s any consolation and is a great option, reasonably priced on the second hand market. You can’t go wrong with it. I am not familiar with the Schiit Tyr but it was reviewed favorably in Stereophile magazine and is even less expensive. So either you will have a good amp to match your speakers. Give both a listen if you can. 

I have always had stereo amps. I recently purchased a pair of McIntosh MC 611s. I will never go back to a stereo amp. The channel separation is incredible, along with the musical presentation. 

The MC402 will drive the Sh## out of those speakers. The 2300 and 402 would make a nice combo, though!

Schitt makes some very good equipment, at very good prices.

But, if I could afford the Mac, I would do it in a heartbeat.

B

The difference between stereo versions and mono blocks of the same amps are subtile but important. But the operative word is subtle.

I own a Audio Research Reference 160s stereo amplifier. I also have had a set of Audio Research 160m mono blocks for well over a year. I switch back an forth occasionally. The mono bocks I have used for listening 95% of the time over the last year and a half. The two amps are exactly the same design... one spread out over two chassis and one adapted to inhabit the same chassis.

There is a difference, but it is small. It is by far smaller than the overall character of the amp, compared to any other amp. You want to chose the amp you want... by the character and sound... then decide if you can afford the mono blocks. As the amps get more expensive the more important mono’s become.

If I loved the sound of McIntosh amps... I would not even consider another brand because it offered mono block. Now, if I loved the sound of McIntosh, then I would consider if I could afford their monoblocks.