Stereo Imaging

I think I've written about this before, but I wonder how many of us who use the same system for HT and music get fooled into suspecting the center channel must be generating the center image. I was playing the Abkco disc of "Let It Bleed" and found myself compelled once again to put my ear to the center channel to assure it was not generating the strong centered image I was hearing. Intellectually I knew it wasn't because I've tested it before, but the image is so strong it creates a cognitive dissonance. In a world of 7.1, I'm afraid I forget just how effective stereo can be in generating a soundstage.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd

Showing 3 responses by mikeba316

Larry,

The Cd you are talking about is from a group called Deep Forest. The song is #6. I forget the name of it. Quite bizzare how those drums sound as if they are directly behind you!

Mike
Larry,

Yeah. Freaky for sure.

I actually use that drum intro to that song as a test when I try different tweaks and cables. There should be a seamless 360 degree circle from those drums. If part of the circle is missing or it's uneven then something is wrong. I'm experiencing that right now with a tweak I'm trying.

mike
@dadork the song I referred to is Savava Dance off their 1992 debut album. Maybe I got the track number wrong! Sorry!