Stepping up to the next level ? HT and Music

A little about the system.
I have a Onkyo 5509 Pre pro , 2 Emotiva Xpr 2 amps bi amped powering Tyler Acoustics D1x speakers . 1 Tyler center channel speaker and 4 tower speakers for surrounds and back powered by a Rotel 5 channel amp . 2 Chase 18.2 subs powered by a Suntron M 600 amp. the room is 17 x17 and I can seal it off with a door .

No problems with the system for movies and no glaring problems for music . I would just like it to sound more musical but still run my subs at the same time .

I know music lovers say no to subs but I really like the layer they add to music . So what are my options ?
1. Add a pre amp for music ? But what about the subs ?
2. Better Pre pro like a Classe ssp 800 but loose room correction .

I have had a tube amp in the mix and really liked it . The sound wrapped around my speakers but was not loud enough when I wanted to turn it up . Also cant justify running tubes always when watching movies and tv and the associated heat that comes from them .

Im looking for suggestions that I may have overlooked or advice from those who have had similar problems .
Like I said , it sounds good but would like to take it to the next level musically . I mainly listen to cd,s but am looking at a music server and or computer audio . No vinyl at this time but may add at some time later .

Thanks , Lambeau
lambeau

Showing 3 responses by zd542

I think you are going in the right direction by getting a new preamp. A good preamp is absolutely critical if you want good sounding music. Its not optional, so you might as well get it now and be done with it. If you go for a Classe HT preamp, you most likely will get better sound, but at a much higher cost. If you just focus on a good 2 channel preamp, you won't be wasting money by spending on features that won't be relevant for music. I had a Classe HT preamp. I don't remember if it was the same model you mention, but it was a good one. It won't give you the sound quality of a good 2 channel preamp. You also mention tubes, but are not sure if they are right for your system. You can go solid state and have no problems at all. That wasn't always the case, but new SS gear has come a long way and is now competitive.
You can get a preamp with a HT bypass feature. That would allow you to switch back and forth between your setup for music and movies without having to swap cables.
"02-23-15: Lambeau
Martykl , On the contrary. I don't know witch direction I am going to go . I have talked with a Parasound dealer about 2 hours from me and he wasn't sure the P5 would be able to run my subs on both units with out a switch . Maybe someone else will chime in that would know . Still searching."

Once you upgrade, you may find that you don't need or want the subs. But if you do, you can put an input selector in front of your amp that powers the subs, and switch back and forth between your HT preamp and your stereo preamp.