Spendor SP 100/R2 and Harbeth 40.1 - impressions?

Where I am, it's difficult to audition these two flagship speakers side-by-side or at home, so opinions/impressions from anyone would be most welcome.

Feedback on other forums is that the Harbeth may be marginally the "better'' speaker, but I'm not convinced.

Matching amps would likely be from MBL.

Thanks in advance
classact

Showing 6 responses by classact

Thanks Dayglow, you have voiced exactly what I was thinking!

The conventional wisdom is that Harbeth is less fussy/more forgiving and has better resale value, but every Spendor I've listened to seems to me to have better soul and musicality.
A quick update - am thoroughly enjoying the Spendors. Incredibly musical speakers that allow for hours of non-fatiguing listening.

Thanks to Dayglow and Dave_72. All the best guys...
Thanks Larryi and Salectric.

Larryi - I too prefer the classic Spendor sound over Harbeth. I previously owned two Harbeths - the P3ESR and 30.1 but ended up selling both after about a year each. In both cases, their replacements were Spendors which I found more to my taste.

Salectric - yes Harbeths have a natural sound which is easy to like. It's a close call though, and for me, the choice is only obvious after very extended listening.
Hi Salectric - I'm using fairly heavy, 2-pillar stands custom made by my Spendor dealer which are about 18 inches high and whose pillars are filled with Atacama's Atabites. I think these stands are modelled after Skylans.

I believe some people recommend using open frame stands but I don't know where to buy these; I'm quite happy with the ones I'm using though.

Yes you're right in assuming I'm not biwiring. I've removed the stock jumpers and am using Kimber jumpers, made out of 8TC cable with banana plug terminations.