Spectron Musician 3 First Impressions?

I just installed my Spectron Musician 3 into my system. I had a 2A3 amp powering 96db Epiphany 12/12s. Out of the box, ice cold, the Spectron was incredible! The tonality was spot on with the 2A3 tube amp! The harmonic structure was 85% of the tube amp, and this was with less than 4 hours on the Spectron! The Spectron bettered the 2A3 in 3 major ways: 1.) Increased detail with no loss of sweetness 2.) Deeper bass with more control, 3.) Both micro & macro dynamics! Spectron says it takes 3-4 weeks of 24/7 at medium volume before the amp sounds its best. Has anyone else had a chance to listen to this incredible amp?????

Note: I am not affiliated with Spectron.
128x128darrell
I have to add my two cents about Spectron philosophy/practice and upgrading an already fine amplifier. I bought a pre-owned Musician IIISE about two months ago from a member here on Audiogon. The unit did not work properly upon arrival; I have no reason to believe the (reputable) previous owner had any problems with it. With the warranty in effect I shipped it from Minneapolis to California. The total turn around time, including shipping, was 12 days…and I followed the shipping progress to Spectrum Service from Minneapolis. According to my calculations, Spectron did not have it for more than a day….I could be a day off…but I don’t think so. Simon T. filled me on the option I had to purchase four HiFi Tuning fuses from a partnering business, which I did. Say what you want/read the other threads, but this tweak added substantial gain and detail to the amp. Goes with out saying I recommend this to any Spectron owner. Thank you Simon and the ‘pit crew’!
I have to agree about changing the 4 internal power supply fuses. In my system it makes a signinficant difference.
"Spectron philosophy/practice"

Dear Mdrummer01: thank you for your kind words. We found even cheaper source for very high quality fuses:

AudioAcmelabs.com - ceramic, silver, cryo - at $12 each. Its good info for owners of older amplifiers. For new amplifiers we will install these fuses at no cost to our users.

Here is a few more things which will dramatically improve performance of Spectron amplifiers.

1) Acoustic Revive QR-8 Quartz Resonator "...Place these little adhesive backed smoky quartz disks on any surface that may have vibration/resonance issues to reduce vibration borne problems. Other devices may reduce resonance, but they often add their own at the same time..."

http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/loc/product/QR-8/Acoustic_Revive_QR_8_Quartz_Resonator.htm

2) The Acme Audio Ebony Wood AC Connector: - "...will utterly shock you with what it does to the sound characteristics of your existing power cords. Try one on either end of your source's power cord to experience a smother, warmer, more liquid midrange and enhanced dynamics..."
http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/Acme_Audio_Tweaks/product/AcmeEbonyClamp/Acme_Audio_Ebony_AC_Connector_Clamp.htm

When I use word "dramatic" - this is exactly what I mean. The effect is disproportional to their price -at least in my own system and few others.

I made agreement with Michael Garner from http://www.tweekgeek.com/ Call him at (303) 653-6341, and tell him that you are Spectron customer - he will provide you about 20% discount on this product.

Please be aware that Spectron or I personally have no financial interest in any of our recommendation.

We do have interest, obviously, in your recommendation of our products and services to your friends.

Thank you again
Simon
I have just acquired the new Spectron, with the full upgrades Simon offers on new units and just passed the 200 hour mark - but I believe there is still some settling down to occur. Us audiogeeks are always seduced by our new toys, so I will try to be absolutely objective.

I bought the Spectron to replace Sonic Frontier Power 3's that had been heavily modified and upgraded across the board. I would put my Power 3's up against anything out there, tube or SS. My rationale to change was purely to get a truthful sonic signature without the excessive heat in the summer, recognizing that I was not going to get a tube sound.

So far, I am not "blown away" but I am impressed and not regretting my move. The Spectron definitely has more detail, less veil than any of the tubed equipment I have had - including single ended triodes etc. The Spectron is also more faithfull to a live sound than a SS amp, and I have had a few good ones in this system as well. At this point, I can't see any reason to think about another amp, other than a matching Spectron to bi-amp. I did get the Bybee upgrade and oil caps.

The Spectron is a good match with my ARC Ref3; it runs ridiculously cool, no noise, total control top to bottom, but it is not lush, it does not color the signal and it is remarkably effortless driving my Apogees, very quiet driving my Raven/Focal hand-built MTM's. If I had to sum up so far, it has poise, clarity, definition and gives a confidence that it delivers the most musical response from whatever you feed into it. Just be aware that it will highlight any deficiencies in your system or your room acoustics.

Bravo Spectron!
Thank you Radicalstuff, excellent info. Please do keep us posted as the sound develops further. I wonder how many hours of break in are required for Spectron to yield its very very best performance? Some other switching amps that I have had the opportunity to test and that -- unlike Spectron -- utilize ICE modules for power conversion, likely take over 1000 hours to break in completely. . . so, be patient and keep posting your listening notes here.