Spectral DMA 180 Questions

Hello,

I currently use a Spectral DMA 50 power amp in a system that includes Thiel 1.6, Spectral DMC 15, Krell CD 300, and a project RM 5 running through a mccromack phono pre, with MIT cabling throughout.

I got the DMA 50 used several years ago, and it's fantastic. It was much more informative and fuller than the McCormack dna 0.5 I'd been using with the thiels, and it erased any remaining brightness that was there with the mccormack.

I now have the upgrade bug, and I'm considering replacing the DMA 50 with a spectral DMA 180, given that it has a more evolved design, more power, which might result in better bass and more accurate presentations overall. I've heard that the DMA 180 is on the warm side, as is the DMA 50, and I'd prefer this with the thiels. My questions :

1. What is the difference between the DMA 180 series 1 and 2, sonically?

2. What are the opinions in general of the DMA 180? Should I be considering other spectrals, such as the 100, 150 or 90?

3. As far as warmth, would the DMA 180 be a decent match with the thiel 1.6, which can sound bright with the wrong electronics. In my current setupd, there's no problem with brightness or fatigue.

I listen to rock, classical chamber and orchestral music, and old jazz.
Thanks!
robertd

Showing 1 response by hikejohn

Lawrence and Joe,
Some years back I had a DMA 150 DMC 30, earliest version...now I Ayre monoblocks/VTL 6.5 pre...I like the system...but wonder how things have progressed in Spectral land

John