Speakers free of grain, glare and steel?

$2,000 or less used/new speakers free of grain, glare and steel, but with detail, extension, imaging, and tonal accuracy and balance? Acoustic Zen Adagio, Merlin TSM MME. Gallo 3.1, Frafrotski SE? Most speakers are competent, some are outstanding, a few deliver magic. Which speakers are the most musical and easy to listen to, rising to the top of a crowded field given their price point, and the most "forgiving" of their associated components? Which have magic?
pmboyd

Showing 3 responses by rodge827

Shelby + Kroll...I ended my search with a pair of the Nano Monitors and (2) Woffer Monitors. The cleanest most natural speaker I have ever owned. A pair of B-stock Nano's and one Woffer might be had at your $2000.00 price point. I'm driving them with an ATC SIA2-150 integrated ss amp, and will be upgrading my digital front end soon. Even still they sound great with a $300.00 stock cd player.
Good-luck,
Chris
Pmboyd,
What will you be driving said spealers with?
As noted above electronics on the front end do have an effect on the speaker end.
As with speakers, all amps and sources are not alike.
If I missed that info from a previous post, my apologies.
Chris
Unsound and Mapman are spot on in their concerns regarding high eff speakers.

I went from a Lowther DX4 (103db) Medallion and all Audio Note Kits tube system (dac, pre,and amp) to a Class A SS integrated system.

The Shelby+Kroll monitors are 87db, but drop off at 100hz, the lower end is picked up by the Woffer monitor.

Due to the nonlinear nature of the Lowther drivers, severe peaks were to be had at the 1000hz - 1200hz range. Try as I did with room treatments, wires, etc... I couldn't tame them and became rather discontented with the whole high eff, single driver, SET approach.

Going from one camp (high eff) to the other has brought about a very rewarding change, and I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing.

I answered this in response to the high eff speakers being better statement. As noted I did recommend the Shelby + Kroll speakers, but I am in no way tying to push them on anyone. I just felt that my own recent experience in such a decision warranted this response.

Rodge