Speakers: all-time favorite

What is your all-time favorite loudspeaker system, and why?
wenterprisesnw
I don't have a favorite speaker system (yet), but I do have a favorite speaker driver. It's the Dynaudio Esotar dome midrange. I think it's a better midrange than the Esotar tweeter is at being a tweeter! I SAY IT REPRODUCES A SIGNAL WITHIN ITS OPERATING RANGE BETTER THAN EVERYTHING, I mean EVERYTHING!!! You name it: ESL's (including the Quads), Manger, MBL, Genesis ribbons, other ribbons/planar magnetics, even ATC's 3 inch dome, and definitely any cone midrange or midwoofer.
I don't have a pair YET but my favorite speaker is the Merlin VSM with BAM. I heard them on a tube system and I was blown away by them.
Are you a DIY speakerbuilder? I am looking at a 3-way using Dynaudio drivers. Please get in touch.
I have to think that the Vandersteen 2 series has been both among the most successful and competent performers in its price class for people who are serious about music. I recently heard the 2Ce and 3 Signature series and it just reconfirms that notion. The 3 signatures as Garfish notes above are an absolutely stunning example of the maximization of this design. I really liked this speaker alot during a recent audition and it will be on a short list the next time I upgrade. I don't think you can find a better balanced speaker anywhere near this price, at least I haven't heard it yet. Does anyone know of one?
The Paragon Acoustics Radiants are a terrific value for $2850, although I haven't compared them directly with the Vandersteen 3 Signature. I doubt they would beat the Paragons. These are even a better value than the Paragon Regents. I augment mine with the Sunfire subwoofer in a 4200 cubic foot concrete room, treated with acoustic traps. It's certainly better sound than I've heard from ANYBODY else's system, either dealer or individual, and I've heard some great ones...