Speaker Stand Height And Recommendations For Spendor SP100 Speakers

It has been a very long time and I do not have the Info to make a sound decision on a Set of Speaker Stands for my recently acquired SP100's.

My sitting Ear Height is 38 1/2" and Speakers will be 9 Feet away.

Tweeter in SP100 is 17 1/2" to Center from the Bottom of the Cabinet. Sound Anchors told me recently that their 4 Post Stand for the SP100 is 16" High. In addition to another puzzlement is they also told me Top Plate will be 14" Wide & 16" Depth but I am measuring the SP100 Cabinet as 14 7/16" Wide & 17" Depth.

My Footers will add 1 1/2" approximately which equals 35" for Tweeter Height from the Floor. I recall the Original Sound Anchor 3 Post Stand had two adjustable Studs at the back of the Stand.

My questions are;

1) Does someone have a pair of the Original Sound Anchor SP100 Stands and could I trouble you to give me a dimension from the Bottom of the Horizontal Base Tube to the Speaker Top Plate at the front.

2) Does the SP100 require that the Tweeter be at a Sitting Ear Height? If it does, can you shim the Front Base of the SP100 to accommodate.

3) It is likely that I will go for the Sound Anchors but does anyone have any other Speaker Stand Recommendations.

SP100's will be on a Second Level suspended Plywood Floor with Carpet. My previous Sound Anchor Stands provided good stability on this semi wonky Plywood Floor but I would like some recommendations since I have been far removed from the Market.

Thanks in advance,

David

djohn

Showing 2 responses by djohn

Everyone,

Much appreciated for your comments.

Spoke to Sound Anchors again today and I used the term Top Plate incorrectly in my initial Post. If you look at the Website it is 4 Rectangular Bars and not a Plate. I also had the Dimension wrong so here are the correct Dimensions for the Spendor SP100; 16" High and the Speaker Platform is 14" Wide and 16.5" Deep. Sound Anchors was pretty clear on these Dimensions via a conversation today.

I also received information from a member of the Spendor Group informing me that the Original Sound Anchor Stand was 14" High. Therefore, the current Sound Anchor offering appears very reasonable.

@dekay You were right on the money with your Post

Memory is certainly fleeting but I recall with my first SP100's it was common to tilt the Stands slightly utilizing the front Spikes or Footers just slightly up and more than Level. I also recall faintly utilizing a butt ended Laser Pointer and holding it in proximity to the Speaker Tweeter to align for the Sitting Ear Height that is marked with Blue Painters Tape on the opposite wall.

Regarding some of your comments;

@twoleftears I owned Harbeth 40.1's after my first set of SP100's and they were on Skylan Stands. I utilize Spiked Adjustable Footers and I also like to use Herbies Big Fat Dots between the Stand Platform & Speaker Bottom. I really like the Herbies since they are nonmarring and they also have somewhat of a slip resistance along with their built in properties. 

@audioguy85 Thank You for your tip to look at Atacama. I did review them initially and I will also need to Contact them to see if it is feasible since I reside in the US.

@roxy54 I would really appreciate it if you could contact me with some details about your Timbernation Project. There is one style that caught my eye on Timbernation since it is a similar style to Sound Anchors with the Base extending past the Platform Pillars. Since I am in California I need the extra width on the Base for Stability and my Second Level Plywood Flooring loves either the Sound Anchor type and or the Skylan type. I have looked at the Spendor Classic Stand and that type would not fly here whatsover. I also spoke to Skylan today and he did not seem interested in making some for me since he has his Bases & Tops made elsewhere now and he has not made a set for the SP100 in quite some time.