Speaker Questions

Hello. I am looking to get some new speakers but I am on a relatively tight budget. WAF is important for me in the buying decision.

I have found a pair of Polk Audio S50 towers for $200 each and that seems like a good deal, but I don't really see any Polk Audio on the recommended lists. Not even in the WAF section. I would prefer a Tower speaker, but I suppose I could go with some good bookshelves on stands.

Here's what I'm considering;Polk S50 Towers (White)Polk S30 Center (White)Polk ES15 Rear's (White)Polk RC60i In Ceiling speakers (for atmos)

All in, I can get this for about $880. It SEEMS like a good set, though I have nowhere to listen to it locally. I really like the aesthetic and haven't had any arguments from the SO yet.

That all being said, the fact that these don't come "recommended" in any of the buying guides has me worried that I am doing myself a disservice by not looking at other speakers.

I don't see ANY white towers anywhere near that range, but there are some bookshelf ones. More specifically, I could get the KEF Q150's for L & R at $300/pair, but then I don't know where I would be able to go from here for center, surround, and atmos speakers. Would the KEF Bookshelf be better than the polk tower? I'm in need of some guidance here.

Thanks!

okalautar

I always buy my partner an expensive gift before I buy a new piece of audio equipment. I never get criticism that way.

+1ghdprentice

"I always buy my partner an expensive gift before I buy a new piece of audio equipment. I never get criticism that way."

No such thing as WAF, only cheapskate audiophiles.

I have a pair of Polk Towers and I enjoy the very much. I also have a Polk sub that blends nicely. I use Bose satellites for the other sides. Sound is excellent. Just remember you need enough clean power to make them sound good.