Speaker Mods

Several years ago as a young struggling audiophile I bought a pair of Warfdale Diamonds. I was sceptical when I set them up, but I thought I'd give them a chance. I put an album on and listened. After only a few minutes I was ready to cry. I sold an okay pair of speakers to buy these and they sounded awful. I let them run for a while and since there was no noticeable improvement I realized I had to do something. I don't remember what the cable was anymore (this was about ten years ago) but I opened the cabinet and replaced all the wiring with either audioquest or monster cable???
When I put the speakers back on their stands the difference was unmistakeable. I did a "blindfold" trick with a friend who was also into listening. I played some familiar music for him while he couldn't see them. When he removed the blindfold he was floored that these little speakers sounded so good.
I have since moved on to bigger and better speakers and have thought about doing something with the cable but I'm worried about doing the wrong thing. When the speakers were cheap it wasn't intimidating, now it is.
Does anybody have any ideas about safe mods I could try on my Sony SS M7es speakers. They sound good now but I think they could be better.
Thanks for any insight you can offer.
128x128nrchy

Showing 3 responses by kana813

Get your self a couple of sheets(24" x 27") of Black Hole 5.

Remove the drivers and and loose damping material and try
and cover the inside walls of the cabinet. It's easy,just cut, peal and stick(it has pressure sensstive adhesive).

Stay at least two inches from the rear of the drivers.
It will greatly improve inner detail in the lower midrange & bass.

Also, don't waste time with the Bybee filters, get the Bybee
purifiers($40-$50.@) and connect them in line with the postive leads of each driver.

I recently did these mods to my seven year old pre-Talon Khorus speakers and was blown away with the improvements.

Total cost $225.00 and two hours of my time.
Pilar- got my purifers from a friend. I think they cost the
dealers $40.@. Check Bybee's website, maybe some of the modifiers listed will cut you a better deal.

Twl- Haven't heard the Bybee filters, but I'm sure they sound great. Don't know if I buy the argument that more
filtering is better. I purchased the Bybees purifiers based on the concept that they improve the energy tranfer between components.

Agree there's a potential for vibration when
mounted inside the cabinet, but if installed properly, I doubt it would cause anymore problems than the wiring leading from your drivers to the Cardas post. I made sure
the purifiers were supported and clear of the backwave
of the woofers when I did my installation.

Also, agree that external crossovers or electronic crossovers are a path worth following.

I was most surprised by the improvements from the Blackhole 5, since my speakers cabinets were well made with lots of internal bracing.

Amazing how all these little add up.

Aloha.