Speaker decision $3000-3500...help

I have been around auditioning speakers around the $3000-3500 mark.

I am looking for speakers that are musical, open, dynamic with a hint of warmth!
I listen to Soft Rock, Pop and some House/Dance music.
Mostly multi-track and digitally amplified stuff.

I have auditioned PSB, B&W, GoldenEar and Amphions.
I was most pleased with Amphion Helium 520s, since they are very engaging and natural sounding. Jack of all trades.

If you think there are other speakers for my preferences in the price range of 3000-3500, please guide me, i will audition them as well.

Otherwise i will pull the trigger on the Amphions and will need suggestions for Amplification for them. Budget would be $1500.

Please, any advice either on speakers or amplification would be appreciated.
Thanks.
adurlabhji

Showing 5 responses by zd542

I like the Vandersteen 3's. The only caution I would give you is that you have to match them to other components carefully. They're very revealing and will easily point out any flaws in your system.
"06-10-14: Ricred1
I've listened to Monitor Audio PL200s and PL300s. To my ears there are several speakers in their price range that are more balanced. They have a bright, forward sound to my ears."

Why do you think the speakers were at fault? You can't listen to just a pair of speakers. They have to be part of a system. The bright sound you experienced could have come from other component(s).
Bo, you talk about how important it is for a speaker to have a good crossover. I'm sure most of us will agree, myself included. The question I have is what exactly are you looking for in a crossover? I know you like Monitor Audio (I do too), but what is MA doing with their crossovers that other speakers do not?
Bo's lucky. All of the best psychiatric help can be bought legally and over the counter in his country.
"11-09-15: Taters
I have never seen Monitor audio speakers in a high-end store. Plus I believe the mail order company Audio Adviser sells them. I will say one thing. You are a great salesman and you should be a rep for the company. For all I know you already are."

There are smaller, traditional high end stores in the US that sells Monitor Audio. I bought a pair from a store in PA a few years back. Also, they are more established in other countries that don't have so many brands like we do here in the US. Its a tough market.

As far as value goes, I find them to be very competitive with other speakers in their price range. MA is a hard speaker to mess up with. (Keep in mind, I haven't heard any with the ribbon tweeters). For my own personal taste, the only speakers I like better for about the same money is Vandersteen. That said, I can see someone liking MA better, especially if you like the British feel in a speaker (PRAT). MA does that very well.