Sound quality of XM radio Direct TV vs standalone

How good is the sound quality of XM radio? I have it on my Direct TV and run it thru my Creek integrated and decent speakers. It sounds just "ok" not anything special. Are the sonics better (much better?) with a regular stand alone subscription for the full XM service and using, say, a Polk XM tuner? If it's not much better, I don't think I'll pay the additional cost even though I would get twice the number of music channel offerings. Any help here? Thanks.
bmatth3790

Showing 1 response by bmatth3790

Thanks Marco and Rich--You've helped a lot. The more I research XM's sound quality (even afer posting a day or so ago), I hear a lot of folks say it's just OK. My interest in XM is for home use, as a substitute for buying so many CDs. So it looks like I would be disappointed. I don't listen to music much in my car, not even my 6-CD player, and have never given a lot of thought to XM for my car even though I know that's it's biggest market and probably its greatest appeal. But my tastes and interest can change, of course. Heck, I get so frustrated with the incessant commercials on FM radio in my car that I usually listen for a few minutes then press the off button for the rest of the trip. Thanks again.