Sound Quality of red book CDs vs.streaming

I’ve found that the SQ of my red book CDs exceeds that of streaming using the identical recordings for comparison. (I’m not including hi res technology here.)
I would like to stop buying CDs, save money, and just stream, but I really find I enjoy the CDs more because of the better overall sonic performance.
 I stream with Chromecast Audio using  the same DAC (Schiit Gumby) as I play CDs through.
I’m wondering if others have had the same experience
128x128rvpiano

Showing 2 responses by astewart8944

In my rig CDs ripped to Antipodes DX3 server (WAV) (Roon) sounded superior to CDs played on an Oppo 105D transport to the very same DAC. So much so, I sold the Oppo 105D. I listen to the CDs at 24/96. BTW I believe @audioengr Steve N. has noted elsewhere that WAV files sound better than FLAC files. I tested this assertion in my old system and couldn't hear a difference between them. Then I upgraded my components significantly and I now can hear a significant positive difference between WAV and FLAC files. I tested about 25 CDs comparing WAV/FLAC versions. Turns out @audioengr Steve N. was spot on. Equipment can make a difference.
+1 @georgehifi and @caphill My family has compared streamed movies via Netflix and Amazon Prime to their 4K UHD discs through the exact same system on multiple occasions and the discs always easily win using the Oppp UDP-205 4K UHD player.