Sound quality of new vinyl recordings.

I would like to get back to vinyl. I have not heard any new vinyl yet but I question the sound quality and I hope someone can help as I have not yet found the answer to my question. Are new vinyl recordings from original analog source or are they just copying digital onto vinyl. If there are both out there what do I look for to tell the difference before I buy

128x128randym860

Showing 2 responses by relayer101

I am a firm believer in the superiority of a good early pressing from the 60's, 70's and early 80's. I started a mission a few years ago to replace some of my favorite albums that had seen better days and can say that probably half or more of what I replaced did not sound as good as the original pressings. And not to say all are inferior as some sound very good and better but the hit rate is not so good. I will say that I have picked up some current releases that sound great so I don't shy away from buying something that I'm interested in. 

Just a few examples. Dire Straits self titled MFSL 45 RPM sounds great out of the box with great separation of the instruments and a very full bottom end but maybe too much on the bottom end. That is not uncommon on many of the remasters that I have purchased.

Followed it up with my original Warner Brothers early pressing and it's perfect and more enjoyable to my taste with great balance and not lacking on the bottom end at all. Both version were done very well and sound great but I favor the original.

Another example is the Nick Davis remix and half speed remaster by Miles at Abbey Road studios of Genesis Selling England By The Pound on Rhino. With nothing to compare to it sounds great but when compared to my original Charisma pressing from 1973 it doesn't compare. The original is hands down better sounding. 

Everyone has different taste in how they like their music to sound and many people would probably enjoy the remastered versions more in even my few examples. It's all about personal taste. 

Do the research like said previously as the record label and engineer on the project can make a huge difference. 

But in my case I'll stick with the original versions if I can help it. Just saying. 

OP,

Don’t be discouraged by the negative comments in reference to "new vinyl" including my own. While in many cases I have preferred the original pressings from my youth I have also purchased many of the repressed and remastered LP’s that are available today on artists from the 60’s and 70’s and also those recording today. As bdp24 stated there are a number of very good manufacturers that are putting out fabulous LP’s. Websites like Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct are a great source for music and new releases from Analog Productions, MFSL and many other manufacturers sound superb even if some do have a digital step in the process. Pressing plants like QRP and RTI are generally very high on quality. And if you want to search for original pressings from years back websites like Discogs is a great source and also great for research.

While I listen to music on LP’s, streaming and CD’s and enjoy them all listening to LP’s for me is an experience.