SOTA NOVA, HR-X VPI, Technics 1200G recommendations?

I am considering SOTA NOVA, used HR-X VPI and Technics 1200G TTs. I have an old SOTA STAR with vacuum, (and essentially a Jelco 750 arm-retipped Denon 103R) so I know its high quality and durability. Technics apparently has performance that far exceeds its $4000 price tag. For tonearms, I am down to Jelco 850M and old FR-64S. I am considering low compliance cartridges. For VPI, it would be JMW 12 or 3D. Changing the tonearms seems to be more of a hassle on VPI. What are your thoughts and recommendations?
128x128chungjh

Showing 2 responses by minorl

If it was my choice between the listed turntables, I would send the Sota back to the factory to be checked and upgraded.  That is an outstanding turntable.  

Second would be upgrading the arm to possibly a SME IV or V.

But, for the price range listed, I would keep the SOTA and upgrade it via the factory.

enjoy
This is a fascinating post.  I am quite enjoying this.  thanks all

For a newbie (I am definitely not one), this would be daunting.  I imagine this turns off potential turntable/cartridge/tone arm/phono stage buyers.

It reminds me of that old Saturday Night Live episode where they had a skit about the George Bush (Jr.) election debate and asked him a question. The response makes me laugh even today.

I was told there would be no math.

enjoy.