Sony SCD-1 vs SCD-777ES, AB sound differ

After researching the two units the SDC-1 has potted transformers, five feed vs four, and balanced output. From the internal pictures I have seen the fixed pick-up mechanism looks different also. All things being equal (RCA output used, breakin time), how do the two units differ in sound? I have heard the SCD-777ES is dark sounding as compared to the SCD-1, more forgiving, clearly not as good, and not worth the cost savings. My thought was to use the $1100 cost savings to feed the SCD-777ES with pure AC from the PSAudio P300. Any input from someone who has AB the two units please suubmit a follow-up. I am planning on going direclty into a McCormack DNA2 using EVS nude attenuators, Harmonic Tech cables, Thiel CS2.3 spk.
128x128mikeg
Thanks for your input Audiopho. Can you elabrate on the differences between XLR and RCA out of the SCD1? Was a pure AB test made? My amp has both input types. Was the P300 powerlink a good investment? How did it improve your system? What power factor works best? Thanks.
If your gear allows the use of xlr in/out then go for the SCD1. I never had a chance to a/b both side by side but I did first listen to the 777ES at a local Goodguys store in the Bay area but ended up purchasing the SCD1 myself. When a/b between RCA and xlr on my SCD1, Well I am glad I made the right choice. XLR somehow always gives the best sonic performance. The rest of my gears are SimAudio Moon P5/W5 that drives a apir of Gershman Avant Garde with JPS Superconductor 2 balanced cables. PS300 as my power plant. Good luck!